aiptasia, animal cure?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonsRus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, I got a whole bunch of live rock for my new 26gallon aquarium from an established tank that was being taken down. Unfortunately I have discovered Aiptasia! ARGH! My tank is obviously too small to house a copperband or a raccoon, and I think I can get the bigger ones with kalkwasser (whatever that powdery stuff is called) but are there any animals that I could put in my tank to take care of the small ones? My tank is a FOWLR. The sand and rock have been established for about 8 years in the previous tank.

Thanks for you opinions!

-Kristin

I was killing small aiptasia left & right, using concentrated lemon/lime juice. However, tiny new aiptasia kept appearing. That is, however, until I bought a Peppermint Shrimp. I haven't seen a single aiptasia in a month.

One caution on buying a Peppermint Shrimp, I have read that some places sell "Camel Shrimp" as Peppermints because they look similar. Camel Shrimp do not eat aiptasia. Make sure you are getting a real Peppermint Shrimp.

By the way, the Peppermint is eating regular fish food, flakes, pellets, & brine shrimp every day. They don't need aiptasia, they just like them. :lol:

Charlie said:
One caution on buying a Peppermint Shrimp, I have read that some places sell "Camel Shrimp" as Peppermints because they look similar. Camel Shrimp do not eat aiptasia. Make sure you are getting a real Peppermint Shrimp.

Camels are easy to spot - they are more brightly colored (solid red with white stripes) and have a large snout/nose thingy that points up. (I'm sure there's a technical term for the snout/nose thingy.) True peppermints are almost transluscent white, with red strips and have no noticeable "snout/nose".

I just got a peppermint last week. It seems to do what most others have commented in that it stays cooped up in a cave during the day and comes out after the lights go out. Still waiting for it to get settled in before I start calling it lazy for not going after the two little aptasias that are sprouting.

I have obsereved shrimp can become lazy when over fed. My fire and cleaner NEVER cleaned anything...well, except the food that hit the substrate.

Back
Top Bottom