Air bubbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Garbear27

Aquarium Advice Regular
There is air In my tank isnt this a bad thing I think it's from my protien skimmer

Attachments

• image-2670233408.jpg
    image-2670233408.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 182
  • image-3521205055.jpg
    image-3521205055.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 195
It will eventually cause stress if you have fish. But, I dont see many fish. So I would find source and fix problem. Some bubbles are ok but not pleasing to the eye. Where is the skimmer?

Bige said:
It will eventually cause stress if you have fish. But, I dont see many fish. So I would find source and fix problem. Some bubbles are ok but not pleasing to the eye. Where is the skimmer?

The close up picture is the pump to the skimmer is the intake tube suppose to have air bubbles or is the water suppose to be solid cuz there is an adjustable air cap

I need more info. The skimmer needs to be checked over. Possibly turned down. Take a pick of the entire skimmer. What kind is it?

Bige said:
I need more info. The skimmer needs to be checked over. Possibly turned down. Take a pick of the entire skimmer. What kind is it?

It's a instant ocean seaclone 100 and is water in intake valve suppose to be all white cuz of air bubbles and in main tube

Attachments

• image-1720025893.jpg
    image-1720025893.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 136
  • image-1475458712.jpg
    image-1475458712.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 128
Sorry its taking me so long to respond, I am sick and having trouble doing much. I'm not sure about your specific skimmer but I can fix almost anything. How does the air go in? I would start there. Sounds like too much air is going in. Second, how does the skimmed water return? I'm guessing the bubbles are coming from skimmer and ending up back in to dt. Trace the bubbles. Are you over flowing the skim cup? Are the bubbles rapidly going up to collection?

I read directions and it said air bubbles can be caused from certain chemicals if put in water to get rid of nitrates and before I got the skimmer I put a little prime in I think that's whats causing it and I just put the skimmer on tuesday and I set the tank up monday night so there is nothing to skim yet but I read on directions and it said shut the air cap all the way to wash out a gel film caused by chemicals

All that is great info. If you just setup and used prime, then your cycling? If so, turn off skimmer. Like you said, you have nothing to skim. Are you using tap water? Is that what the prime was for? Is this going to be a reef or fish only? I'm sure you know, tap water is problematic for saltwater. But prime does cause an oily film in removal process so that would explain the bubbles.

So, if tank is in cycle, you dont need skimmer. I would use ro water from now on. Once cycle is complete and cuc is added, then turn on skimmer.

What is RO water and cuc I'm new to saltwater and im doing fish only for now until I can the hang of thing then eventually do coral

Ro = reverse osmosis. It cleans tap water. Tap water contains many harmful chemicals that are put in to make safe for humans. Not fish. You need to strip out all that stuff for your saltwater tank. You can buy water from local fish stores or walmart and make the saltwater (sw).

cuc = clean up crew. This is required once cycle is complete to clean up diatom (an algae bloom that occurs early in sw). They will then clean up un eaten food and algae that grows.

Is there a way to create your own ro water cuz idk know if I would want to buy 55 gallons of RO water and I have a clean up crew but not very big yet I'm getting more soon

Yes you can make your own ro. Its an ro/di unit. You dont need 55 gallons. You just 15 or 20 a week or two. You can buy the ro water from walmart at the thing by the door or in the parking lot for about .25/gallon.

Bige said:
Yes you can make your own ro. Its an ro/di unit. You dont need 55 gallons. You just 15 or 20 a week or two. You can buy the ro water from walmart at the thing by the door or in the parking lot for about .25/gallon.

Oh ok thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom