alage removal on my sand bed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aquarium Advice Activist
what are the most effective ways of not having algae buildup on my sand bed? I'm guessing changing my water flow would be one thing I could try? How do I remove the buildup that is already there?

It depends on what type of algae you have. For diatoms a light blasting with a turkey baster worked for me. If its a hair algae you may be able to stain it with a fine fish net.

not sure what type of algae I have. It's forming as some type of red algae. Can I use a gravel vac on a sand substate?

if it is red and is a bit slimy and come off in sheets or strands. Unfortunately it is probaly cyano. Try do siphon in out. Without disturbing it and allowing it to float around the tank. Just mixing cyano up will only help it spread. :( Re direct phs to increase flow to the area. some tap water can be the cause. Do you use ro/di water? If so check to make sure the mambrane is still working. Phospahtes are the most common cause for outbreaks of cyano. I get some occasionally in an aggressive tank. Running phos ban works for me.

if i were to describe it i would say that it looks like cinnamon sprinkled on my sand bed, in places heavier than others. should i siphon this out? it doesn't really look like strands or sheets.

If its a new tank it is probably diatoms and completely normal. If you gently disturb the sand it should come right off. If the tank is not new do what Darb said and increase circulation and improve water quality.

i switched to ro water and got rid of the diatoms and swithed bach a couple monthes later and havnt had them come back but diatoms fed on silicate wich is in most wated and i use a phosphate/silicate sponge so they have no food to live on

Back
Top Bottom