Algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madmartin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new to saltwater tanks and I seem to have to much algae in my tank what's the best way to stop it. And what's the best thing to put in my media reactor ? Also my sand has started turning red is this normal ?

Thanks

Algae is a result in nutrients in the water column. The best way to manage such is to ensure you are using to/di water, are feeding sparingly, and doing weekly water changes.

Thanks for that is it normal for the sand to go red ? Or am I doing something wrong lol

Will the media reactor help that ? If so what's the best thing to but in it thanks for your help

What is your water source? How much are you feeding and what?
Water changes are the best solution, and if dire then you can run media to help you between water changes, but if the cause isn't looked at things won't get better.

I get my water from my local aquatic center and I'm feeding 2x a day frozen in the morning an flake at night only a pinch so it's all gone with in a minute

It Had a big water change 2weeks ago when I set it up I took 500lts of the fellas water who I got the tank off then 800lts from the shop

Large fox face small trigger,threadfin butterfly 7 damsels an a large wrasse

Was just going off what the fella I got it off said he was feeding

Well that is a ton of food. What goes in must come out. If it isn't, nature will take care of it. That results in algae and cyano that you are seeing.
The wrasse and most likely the butterfly will need daily feeding, but not that many times a day. I would cut back to feeding once a day.
Adding a protein skimmer to the system will be of benefit to remove the wastes before they enter the nitrate cycle.

Iv got a big protein skimmer in the sump pal ill try cutting back on the feeds an give it a 500 ltr water change on Saturday an see how it goes thanks again pal

I'll take some beta pics when I get in

Attachments

• Image1482953343.415607.jpg
    Image1482953343.415607.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1103.jpg
    IMG_1103.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 105
  • Image1482953412.566278.jpg
    Image1482953412.566278.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 102
Back