Algae! Ba dum dum! Help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ella_e

Aquarium Advice Regular
So the parameters for my 55 SW
SG 1.025
pH 8.2
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Phosphate 0

I have tried to get rid of this disgusting algae, and I just do not know what to do anymore. my light cycle was long ( 12 hours) so for the last two weeks, it has been about 8 hours, and only the Actinic bulb. I have vacuumed it off, I have scraped it off, I have cleaned the filters, I have stopped feeding everyone (its down to two times a week for fish and anemones, and once a week of Zooplex for the scallops). Even the shy wrasse is coming out when it sees me, that is how hungry he is. The hermit crabs have no interest in doing anything but sitting in their caves (even at night when I spy on them).
I have tried Red Slime Remover (ultra life reef products) and it does not get rid of it. I am assuming it is red slime because it is purple in color and well, slimy. Now I also have some off tan colored algae as well.
I plan on trying out API's AlgaeFix Marine, which is safe on reefs, invertebrates, etc.
Does anyone have some advice before I lose my mind? :eek:

and by starfish I mean brittle. All that they do is steal the krill from the anemones (mean little buggers)
I plan on getting a larger cleanup crew this week or early next week (10 hermits and 10 snails) maybe then some cleaning will actually be done.

Sigh. I guess no one has an answer! What a shame!

There has to be phosphate in the tank. I bet it's tied up in the Cyanobacteria which is what I am assuming it is. Do you use rodi water? What is your pwc schedule maybe doing more more often might help. Cyanobacteria feeds of nutrients in the water and likes low flow areas. Try moving your power head to point right at it and see if it goes away. Do you have any pics?

I have a phosphate removing pad in there and the readings have come up as 0, and I either use Nutri water or rodi water. 15% PWC a week.

I'd put money your issue is being fed off of overfeeding. I didn't read at all about the fish feeding, but I paid closer attention to the scallops. They require special attention in terms of feeding...and if not done well, all of that food isn't eaten by the scallop at all...only flowing past or around it to cause parameter issues creating cyano or algae outbreaks.

Ella_e said:
I have a phosphate removing pad in there and the readings have come up as 0, and I either use Nutri water or rodi water. 15% PWC a week.

Stop pouring in bottles of fix it products becuase im sorry to tell you they are not fixes. Cyano bacteria grows by consuming nutrients meaning phosphate and nitrate, meaning regardless of your test reading you have nitrate and phosphate. Its a little confusing so stay with me. The reason your results are coming back as zero is because those nutrients are bound up in the algae and there for there are not free floating in the water column which is what your test kits test for, your kits will only detect free floating nitrate and phosphate.

Every time a bit of that algae dies the nutrients it contains become free and is quickly taken back up by new algae, this happens without you even seeing it one cell at a time.

By manually removing the algae as soon as it appear and doing a large water change you will significantly impact the levels of available nitrate and phosphate. This only works however if you are controlling your input of nutrients meaning not over feeding and using 0 TDS RODI water. Also not being overstocked.

There is no quick fix, this will take some time of constant attention, but it will work. A few weeks depending on how bad the problem is would be my estimate.

Well I target feed the scallops and its very small amounts. Hmm I guess I will scraping up more algae and bring home more buckets of water. I always fed my fish every other day, skipped 2 days, etc.
okay well thank you! Ill be performing yet another 50% water change.

Ella_e said:
Well I target feed the scallops and its very small amounts. Hmm I guess I will scraping up more algae and bring home more buckets of water. I always fed my fish every other day, skipped 2 days, etc.
okay well thank you! Ill be performing yet another 50% water change.

Your import of nutrients may not be the problem, export may be where the issue lies. What is your filtration, tank size? Also how old is the tank?

Back
Top Bottom