Algae growth ??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Charlie

Aquarium Advice Freak
Guys are always trying to deal with problematic algae growth. I seem to have the opposite problem. In my 46 gal tank (running 2.5 months) The lr has virtually no vegatative growth. No visible algae except a slight browning of the substrate surface. Some purple Coraline I have but not much and it may be declining despite the fact the my calcium level was dosed up to 400+.

I do have plenty of snails (big & small), a few hermit crabs, a small star and 2 abalone, but are they so efficient that I can't get some beneficial algae to grow for the Flame Angel? I don't think there is even anything in there to support the clean-up crew so I put in a piece of seaweed every day so that none of my critters starve.

What's up with all of this?

I may be off base here, and if I am someone please correct me, but what kind of lighting are you using?

Some coraline after on 2.5 months is a good thing. Ideally you do not want any other algea even green as it means you a probably introducing too many nutrients. Keep up on pwc and watch your alk/calc levels and see where you are at in 6 months.

HTH,

I may be off base here, and if I am someone please correct me, but what kind of lighting are you using?
Code:
I have been using the original single bulb hood with a 30watt 50/50 bulb. However, I ordered a new fixture which has 1-96watt 10,000k , 1- 96watt Actinic and 2-tiny lunar lights.

[quote]Some coraline after on 2.5 months is a good thing.[/quote]
Most of the coraline algae that I have came on rocks from a well established reef tank. The coraline was quite heavy on the pieces I bought. I have some minimal growth on base rock and I am begining to see purple dots on my glass and equiptment. However, my lr that had heavy coverage seems to be slowly loosing it. ???

Tank has been dosed with C-Balance (A&B) until calcium levels were 400+. I have no corals to consume the calcium and do 12% PWC's weekly.

The new lighting will help and keeping levels in line will promote continued coraline growth. Again, give it time. A tank is not really considered established until 9-12 months. Do not be suprised if you see some minor spikes around the 5-6 month mark.

Take your time and enjoy the process. Watch that flame scallop if it is larger, they are usually inexpensive, but hard to keep. I have never had one last more than about 6 months.

Good luck,

Watch that flame scallop if it is larger, they are usually inexpensive, but hard to keep.

"My info" needed some updating. The Flame Scallop died after about 6 weeks. I think it may have starved. The scallop moved behind the rocks and could not be target fed even if I was so inclined. Eventually, I found the shell opened and it was picked clean, probably by the Angel.

New lighting and a host of other stuff that you just can live without will be here next week. We see how it all works out. I am anxious to put in a hardy soft coral or two.

I have been using the original single bulb hood with a 30watt 50/50 bulb. However, I ordered a new fixture which has 1-96watt 10,000k , 1- 96watt Actinic and 2-tiny lunar lights.

The new lights should help. Algea needs light to grow, so the more light the more it will grow. How long you leave your lights on will make a difference also.

Charlie said:
"My info" needed some updating. The Flame Scallop died after about 6 weeks. I think it may have starved. The scallop moved behind the rocks and could not be target fed even if I was so inclined. Eventually, I found the shell opened and it was picked clean, probably by the Angel.
quote]

Typical MO for flame scallops I have never heard of anyone keeping one for more than a few months. They require emaculate water conditions and typically move behind rock work where they shrivel up and die potentially contributing to worse water conditions if you do not have a large clean up crew. IMO, probably should not be in the general aquarium trade, or at least come with a warning. Problem is they are so cheap and the novice buys them without knowing.

Lighting is a must for those corals. With what you described is coming you should be fine to try some soft corals and LPS. Suggest you do some reading and possibly pick up a book such a Sprung's corals to better decide what is appropriate for lighting needs, feeding and placement.

Most of the corals in my "my info." would do well in your setup.

Good Luck,

Back
Top Bottom