Algae on back Glass / Air Diffusers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boulder

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've been looking thru the gallery of saltwater aquariums on this site and I have noticed a few things ...

• some tanks have a heavy coating of algae on the back glass and others seem to have been scraped clean. Is it just personal preference from an appearance standpoint or is there a benefit going one way or the other?

• it also seems as though air diffusers are no longer popular - again is that personal preference or is it actually a harmful practice?

1. I think its mostly perspective and doesn't benefit anything except algae grazers.

2. Generally in saltwater, people use sand as there substrate and air diffusers/stones are typically buried under the substrate and with sand as the substrate, the rising bubbles will just kick up sand. Plus saltwater tanks usually don't have lids thus they get enough oxygen in the water anyways.

I dont clean my back glass. I let my yellow eyed kole tang have the honors. As far as the air difusers or stones They just arent useful IMO. They look nice but of no practical use IMO. The way you aerate your tank is with good surface aggitaion done with a PH pointed slightly up. JMO

Another reason for not using an airstone is that in saltwater tanks you would get salt spray all over the place. This would get very messy and would rust the surrounding area. PH's and skimmers do all the airation needed.

Another question please ... I worked on the aquascaping last night and being that our tank is only about 14" deep, most of the live rock is pushed up against the back glass and some is touching the glass.

I'm trying to create as much swimming area in front for fish, but could this create potential problems from water flow to cleaning issues to rock putting outward pressure on the glass?

While the ideal scape would not have any rocks leaning against the glass. As long as the rock is not able to fall and then hit the glass it should be okay. As you cycle your tank this is a good time to try out many different scapes until you find the one that works best for you.

I have my rock leaning on the back glass. It forces the fish to swim out front where you can see them as well as stabilize the rock so it cant fall back since it`s already there.

As you cycle your tank this is a good time to try out many different scapes until you find the one that works best for you.

Yea - that's what I was kinda thinking ... I had my hands in the water a lot last night and may try and move some things around again this evening.

Yes, because once the occupants are in it is better not to move things around so much.

Back
Top Bottom