algae on one side of the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_bay

Aquarium Advice Regular
i have a small live rock on one side of the tank and it develop algae around it just in on side of the tank. is normal, or what should i do .i started the tank 10dayz ago

It's most likely diatoms which feed of silicates in substrate and other things. They are very common in new tanks and will usually fade once they have chewed through their food source. Give it time and they will go, or add a clean up crew, I'm sure details of which to add you can find I you search the forums here for diatoms.

SO I SHOULDN'T TRY TO CLEAN THEM or anything right? business as usual? i have only a damsel in it 2 dead corals and a small live rock in a 75 gal tank

the water is clear and they are only on the crush corral not on sand that i have on the bottom (both are live)

You could rub it off, but it won't harm anyone to leave it be, it would only come back anyway. Just let it take it's course and die out. Once you have a cuc they will take care of any left overs for you.

Nomadu571 said:
You could rub it off, but it won't harm anyone to leave it be, it would only come back anyway. Just let it take it's course and die out. Once you have a cuc they will take care of any left overs for you.

+1
You might want to cut the lights a bit too(2hrs or so) until your resolve the issue.

10 days and you already added fish? I would leave the lights off while the tank is cycling. No need to fuel any nuisance algae.

just 2 damsels , the store ppl said that that they are starters and i shuold get them , now after reading more i realized what i put them trough but the store wont take them back

Lol the lfs strikes again ...one rule to follow in this hobby. Do yur own research prior to buying anything and never ever listen to the fish store they.just want yur money

+1 on that there in it for the money if you go in there looking for the most exspensive fish they will sell it to you. My local reef store actually will do a slight background check ask you a bunch of questions and make sure you know what your buying which I like.

EriksFish315 said:
Neve ever never listen to the store people they are just in to make a quick buck.

Not always. My LFS refuse to even sell livestock until he's tested your water and is happy with it. I've seen him refuse people countless times.

Back
Top Bottom