Algae outbreak!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tangs27

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi everyone!

I set up an aqueon evolve 8 to replace my fluval edge. I have 3 types of mushrooms and a small rock with some green star polyps. I do not feed the tank at all.

There are no fish or inverts in the tank except some brittle stars that came in on the mushroom rock.

About a week ago I noticed a brownish green snot like algae growing. I did a water change and got all of it out. I also noticed some green moss like algae on the rock with the polyps. I couldn't get that to come off the rock.

Tank is cycled and has been for a little while I used sand and rock from my larger tank and the rocks that the mushrooms come on.

Sorry it's so long I'm just stumped as I have been doing weekly 50% water changes. Since the algae showed I do small ones through the week to remove the algae that reappears the day after I remove it.

I use ro di water I make it myself and have a tds meter that reads 0. I use instant ocean salt and my other tank is algae free. Any ideas on what is causing it and how to remove it?

Just got home and it's worse. This stuff is spreading very fast so I will siphon it out again. Any insight on how to get rid of it is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Some of it looks like it but I'm not sure where the nutrients are coming from as I don't feed the tank. Any way to get rid of it?

Snails or hermits but that still doesn't solve the problem.......

Could it be caused by the salt mix? I'm really stumped as to what caused it.

I wouldn't think the salt would be the cause. Maybe someone on here that has more experience will know.

Thanks for the suggestions :) I appreciate it. Will those types of snails eat this algae? Most of it is floating in the water it's not stuck to the rocks.

The snails should eat the algae on the rocks and if theirs any on the glass. Also they will clean the sand.

Unfortunately the majority of the algae is floating like a web in the water.

Had the same exact looking snot slime in the beginning of my tank (Led lost timing function, stayed on for eleven days while I was away.) I believe it was a combo of way too much light and some hitchhiker dying in the rock that caused it. Daily ten percent changes, siphoning the crap each time, and no light for better than a week got rid of it for me. Hope that helps even a bit.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Do a water test on your pwc water. It could be you are adding it.

That is a very good point, should have thought of that lol.

Sent from my Z750C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for the responses. Should I just test for nitrates? I don't have a phosphate test and I am unable to get one for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom