Algae Outbreak!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sedonawrx

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys! I transfered from a 55 to 75 gal about a month ago and surprisingly everything went well, everything survived but theres one problem..... algae!!! Whats causing this outbreak? Our substrate and glass always get covered in it really quick.. We currently have a mandarin dragon, foxface, yellow tang, niger trigger, and two clowns, could it be because its overstocked?

Thanks alot guys

thanks alot melosu58...... you have been very helpful!! According to the second link you posted i'm seeing a mixture of 3 algaes... diatoms (on sandbed and glass), Dinoflagellates (on rocks, sandbed and glass) and Valonia spp. (on rocks) Our LR has these very dark green/black aglae grow on them, then the valonia grows on top of them.. very strange

the water I use to change water is from Martins (a grocery store), and they claim it is RO water. If so should i see this bad of a break out? Its just one of those machines that you sometimes see at a walmart that you can fill jugs with.

The only bad thing about those is you dont know how often they change the filters and membrane. You can even think that about your LFS`s water. That`s why I have my own so I can know for sure. Just something to think about.

I agree with mel. If I am correct you want RO/DI, the DI should take out the nitrAtes and phosphates....
How much/often/what are you feeding?
How long do you run your lights?

I used to get my water from a lfs, but they said they started mixing their RO/DI water with tap water, 75%/25% respectively because their freshwater fish were not handling the 100% ro/di water. would you guys still recommend me using that water or just stick with the martins ro/di water. I just checked nitrates a few days ago and its between 5-10 ppm, cant exactly tell because the colors are too close, not sure about phosphates yet. I'm in college and the tank is back at home, we've been doing 5 gal once a week lately for our 75 gal. We feed a mixture of frozen shrimp, seaweed, and flakes every other day. Our lights run for about 8 - 9 hrs a day.

I would also try to use something like phosban in your sump.
It will help remove the phosphates and silicates in your tank

Back
Top Bottom