Algae overtaking tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dingo1600

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all I am new to the SW world but I have done plenty of research an reading..but need some help..I have had my 40 gal for about 5 weeks..I have a brackish Molly to cycle the tank an the common clean up crew..I am pretty sure this I hair algae could be wrong..I want it gone please help!?

ForumRunner_20120812_221955.jpg

dingo1600 said:
Hello all I am new to the SW world but I have done plenty of research an reading..but need some help..I have had my 40 gal for about 5 weeks..I have a brackish Molly to cycle the tank an the common clean up crew..I am pretty sure this I hair algae could be wrong..I want it gone please help!?

Have you tested your water? You don't need a fish to cycle your tank a raw shrimp would work just fine, thats what I did and that rock, it looks like Aiptasia.

What's your filtration like? And during your cycle you really don't need your lights on. Not saying you have them on, I'm just stating what I've learned. During my cycle I kept lights off. I added a small clean up crew to battle some diatoms but that was it.

I found if phosphates are high you will get algae. Also leaving your lights on for longs periods of time can cause algae also.

My parameters are good I test around every three days..I know I got a lot of aptaisa..but when the time comes I am going to get a nutibranch, just want let let my tank cycle for around 2 months or so..it might be my phosphates an I was running 4 t-5 lights..12 HR daylight with an hour of blues when I woke up an before..so I am going to turn them off till this problem is fixed

dingo1600 said:
My parameters are good I test around every three days..I know I got a lot of aptaisa..but when the time comes I am going to get a nutibranch, just want let let my tank cycle for around 2 months or so..it might be my phosphates an I was running 4 t-5 lights..12 HR daylight with an hour of blues when I woke up an before..so I am going to turn them off till this problem is fixed

Ahhh... Ok. I'm no expert. But. I'd turn your lights off. You can zap the aptasia with joes juice or aptasia X. I'd get'em now before they over take your tank better safe then sorry IMO.

Check your phosphates also. Probably high and do a few water changes. Just some ideas. Good luck.

Thanks I am definitely going to check the phosphate level..an what's the best way to get that level down if high? I heard some people use a type of plant life..and I really want a sea slug so I need to kinda make sure it has a steady diet as far as the aptaisa goes

You really really shouldn't wait on the aiptasia. If I were you, I'd take care of it now before it gets out of hand. Your lfs should carry either aiptasia-x or joes juice. Zap them now because they will spread VERY fast, and If u wait the 2 months to take care of it, your whole tank will be covered in them, and it will be one major problem. Nudibranches are hard to take care of from wat I understand, and If u wait 2 months without killing any of them, the aiptasia will grow faster than the nudis will be able to eat them.

I don't mean to sound rude, and I apologize if I am... I'm just trying to save you a real big headache down the road. Aiptasia is something you have to take care of ASAP or it WILL take over your tank, and then the only solution might be to nuke all your rock and start over, which would be a huge waste of money.

Good luck with your new tank, and enjoy!

cashmoney6980 said:
You really really shouldn't wait on the aiptasia. If I were you, I'd take care of it now before it gets out of hand. Your lfs should carry either aiptasia-x or joes juice. Zap them now because they will spread VERY fast, and If u wait the 2 months to take care of it, your whole tank will be covered in them, and it will be one major problem. Nudibranches are hard to take care of from wat I understand, and If u wait 2 months without killing any of them, the aiptasia will grow faster than the nudis will be able to eat them.

I don't mean to sound rude, and I apologize if I am... I'm just trying to save you a real big headache down the road. Aiptasia is something you have to take care of ASAP or it WILL take over your tank, and then the only solution might be to nuke all your rock and start over, which would be a huge waste of money.

Good luck with your new tank, and enjoy!

No your not being rude you obliviously have more experience than I have so any advice is good advice..I really need to get rid of this algae it is such a sore eye..an I will start working on the aptasia, some good water changes, keep my lights off an make sure my phosphate levels are correct

dingo1600 said:
No your not being rude you obliviously have more experience than I have so any advice is good advice..I really need to get rid of this algae it is such a sore eye..an I will start working on the aptasia, some good water changes, keep my lights off an make sure my phosphate levels are correct

Now your cooking lol. Sounds like a solid plan and you'll be happy you did it!

Anymore question feel free and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom