I am at the end of my fishless cycle and just about to start adding livestock. I have a 45 gal
tank with 40 lbs of live sand, 20 lbs of live rock, 10 lbs of base rock and a canister filter. A little while ago I notice the beginnings of an algae outbreak on my LR
. It wasnít bad and for a while it started to go away. It now seems to be maintaining at a consistent level and not really going crazy. I first thought it was Hair Algae and figured I would have to address it as soon as my cycle completed. Today, I did some research and I donít know that it is hair algae. It is an emerald green color and looks like someoneís hair would look when a crew cut is just starting to grow out. From what I have seen on-line hair algae grows to be quite long.
I know excess nutrients, lighting and phosphates will make algae growth a problem and no I am not using RO
water. I am currently just running tap water through a good filter but not an RO
filter. Before I bite the bullet and spend the money on a good RO
my thoughts were to get my CUC going and just keep an eye on it to see if it starts to come under control. Is this a bad idea?
Don't be afraid to be brutal. I can take it.