Algea and red diatoms...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have been batteling red diatoms and algea (carpet I think) for about 3 months. I finally broke down and bought all new filters for my RO/DI, new VHO lights, cleaned my skimmer (Aqua C remora Pro) and introduced a Phosban reactor. How long should it be before these 2 nuisences go away! Also just fyi...I am doing weekly water changes of 20%. Any other suggestions are appreciate but I want to make sure I give the above items time to fix the problem.
Thanks

Well Did you check your Nitrates, Phosphate Levels? What test kits you using?

Nitrates have always been 0 for 3 years now. I have a skimmer and a 20 gallon fuge filled with macro.
However PO levels were up around 2 at one time. I had the LFS test my water for me. I have never had PH issues until the last year...I have changed nothing as far as my feeding, water changing habits, etc...as a matter of fact I had at one time 6 fish in my 100 gallon and now I only have 3. Feed every other day to every third day. Was using Selcon, vitamin C, Zoe but have stopped this as well. Now I just drop a clip of nori in each day for my tang. My clown and damsel eat it as well so all is well with the feeding.

well or city water? I have found that as the water level changes in the area my water quality goes up and down before filters. Depending on if we have a dry or wet year makes a difference IMO.

Siphon out as much of the algae as you cna when doing water changes that will help get rid of the cyno algae.

Last time I checked which was 1-1.5 weeks ago my PO levels were 0..however from what I have read just because they read 0 doesnt mean there arent undectable amts in the water...
Also its city water...
Also I have been siphoning out the cyno (or simply red diatoms as what I have do not really look like the cyno that the LFS have)...
Also I try and get out as much of the green algea as possible...Im really hoping now that I changed all of my RO filters this will stop. However I just changed my RO filters about 4-5 months ago...I have been told you shouldnt have to change them but once a year...

Back
Top Bottom