alk, calcium and magnesium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
When Cycling my tank to grow the bacteria and algea I need. Do I need to add the alk, calcium and magnesium to my tank via some sort of suppliment? Or is it something that will just be there in the process of the tank cycling? Atm I have about 10 pounds of already cured rock from an established tank, live sand mixed with plain sand, and a small dead coctail shrimp to be my ammonia source.

Also I have my heater keeping the temp around 78 degrees, filter and 1 powerhead running.

The elements will be present in your water from your salt mix. You shouldn't need to dose unless you have corals that require it and I never dose anything that I can't test for. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

The elements will be present in your water from your salt mix. You shouldn't need to dose unless you have corals that require it and I never dose anything that I can't test for. Sounds like you're off to a great start!

Great advice.

+1......
img_988973_0_2b9e46cc79deb24f07f2dc42c6a5d209.gif

cool, I read that mag is abundant in the saltwater but i wasnt sure about the other two. Also I dont plan and probably couldnt have corals for another couple months after my tank is cycled but I was just curious. I always read up heavily on something before introducing it to my tank and im sure that it will tell me how much ppm of alk etc I need. just a quick question though do must beginner / moderate coral and anenome not require dosing? Like do they do ok with the trace elements already in the SW?

thanks again

Yes most will do OK with weekly or biweekly PWC`s. The only thing you might have to dose might be calium depending on what type salt mix you use. If you have a heavy lot of SPS corals you might have to dose but only after testing to know for sure.

K does it matter if I buy one brand of salt mix to use and then change brands later when I run out or should I try to stick to the same brand all the time?

The only way you are going to know which brand of salt works for you is to try a few and then go with the best for you.

Back
Top Bottom