All those Mantis Shrimp rumors...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
So, I got 60lbs of keys and 40lbs of live base rock from lr.com. I didn't dip the rock or anything - just threw it in the tank to cycle. No life already in the tank.

There were 4-5 (yes, 4 or 5) mantis shrimp at the bottom of the live base rock nox and tons of glass anemonies all over my rock. They're pests and I'm not too concerned with the anemonies. I'll hit them with Joe's Juice tomorrow. My concern is that I hear pops and clicks everywhere in the tank. I probably have a couple or several mantis in the rock. Its been in since yesterday morning and I haven't spotted one yet but I hear him/them nonestop. I tried the coke bottle trick - not to catch the shrimp, but I do this thing where I balance a coke bottle on my forehead as I jump on one foot - but, that's besides the point. The coke bottle trick didn't work yet. I'll keep trying and I just ordered the X-Terminator.

My question (yes, there is one) - how rare is it really that a mantis shrimp could crack aquarium glass. I know - its such a newbie question. My glass is pretty thick on my 110 gallon. I've just been reading horror stories and now I'm paranoid. I'd hate for the thousands that I've spent on this set-up and hours I've dedicated to end up a wet mess all over my home office, destroying my equipment.

Its late so maybe I'm being way over paranoid - but I can't stop thinking about coming home to a cracked or broken aquarium. Is that even a slight possiblity? I have a feeling these stories are blown a little out of proportion.

Rock on. I'll post pics of the rock once I aquascape - was too cloudy to do so until today.

- Steve

I have a 110 and that would take a pretty big mantis to break that glass. I wouldn't worry..... much. :lol:

As a side note though, some of the popping you are hearing are probably pistol shrimps as well. Good luck with that coke bottle. You might try spinning while standing on one foot. I find that helps. :lol:

Agree with Fluff. The broken glass is somewhat urban legend.
Don't worry, you will get them eventually, it is definately not systemwide armegeddon.
The X-terminator will do the trick, just be patient. Its all part of the fun of having a SW system. :)

Pistol shrimps are my bet, much more likely in the Keys rock. Ive gotten several pistols in my keys rock but have never seen a mantis.

I say pistol as well. I had a maitis in my tank and it was a very distinctive sound. Sounded like somebody litterly knocking on the front door. Scared the hell out of me the first time I heard it. I actually got out of bed and looked everywhere to find nothing or noone at the door, An hour later ,same thing. This time I sit up in the living room and found the noise coming from the tank, lets just say he's not in their anymore for what it's worth.

WOW! Really? Well, I guess it might be. I'm certain that there were a few mantis at the bottom of the box of live base rock - so that's where I'm assuming they are coming from. I saw them up close and they were definitely mantis. But, if that's the case with the sound you might be right about the Pistol. It's loud but its more of a higher pitched pop and crackle. Not so much a loud bang like a knock on the door. Time will tell. I'll get them. Oh, yes...I will get them.

On a side note - the keys rock are amazing. I'll post a few pics after I aquascape tonight.

- Skins

Where do I find the Xterminator? I've got one or two of those I shrimp and they need to go!

Not to spoil the funny Coke/Pepsi bottle jokes, but , is there really a way to use one to catch one without harming the fish?

Some people use a soda bottle. Just put a piece of raw shrimp or fish in the bottom and lean it against the rock where you think the mantis is. This works for crabs also. The shrimp or crab goes in but with the slick side, they can't get back out.

Hey Skins,
Best of Luck with the tank, can't wait to see pics of the rock... Ordering some myself this week..... Saw you were from MA and just curoius what LFS you go to??? Always lookin from new ones.....
Good luck with the shrimp!!
Thanks,
Graig

Hey Skins,
Best of Luck with the tank, can't wait to see pics of the rock... Ordering some myself this week..... Saw you were from MA and just curoius what LFS you go to??? Always lookin from new ones.....
Good luck with the shrimp!!
Thanks,
Graig

I currently have 5 pistols that I know of. Seen them on different rocks one night while feeding. When you get a couple of them clicking away it sounds weird.

alarmguy66 said:
Pistol shrimps are my bet, much more likely in the Keys rock. Ive gotten several pistols in my keys rock but have never seen a mantis.

I hope you didn't bet your house. I got three mantis in 40lb of rock.

I would try the coke bottle trick. But do something different. Cut the end of the bottle off just when it gets as large as it gets. Then spin it around and push it back down into the bottle. This way the shrimp and be guided right into the bottle. But will have a very difficult time getting out.

This is going to sound really redneck but me and a buddy used to catch crawdads like this all the time when we were kids. It works well.,

I feel dumb for asking but are we talking a plastic bottle or glass? I went two places and couldn't fin a suitable glass one!

Plastic. You don't want ot mess with cutting glass bottles. Cut the end off, like our West Virginia friend said.

BTW, when I lived in Virginia, we called them "crawdads", too!!! Brings back memories.

Here in NY, it's "crayfish".

Thats what your supposed to call them probably. We always called them crawdads. I am not a "redneck" per say but I have my moments. Some of my friends are full blown WV hillbillies though.

Back
Top Bottom