Almost ready to go, a few last minute questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joshuha

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alright been doing my research for awhile now and have most of my equipment on the way but still have just a few more questions to hopefully get everything right.

My setup (FOWLR):
55 gallon
80 lbs of argonite sand
40 lbs base rock and 40 lbs live rock from liverocks.com
AquaC Remora skimmer (with a maxi 1200)
2 Maxijet 1200s
Ebo-Jager Heater 200 Watt

Alright now for my last minute questions:
My tank came with 2 24" hoods (although 18" lights). I bought 2 50/50 lights for my hood but 15 watts is the max they come in. Is this going to be enough lighting for my system? I hear you can use NO lighting for FOWLR but will these lights be strong enough?

40 lbs of base and 40 lbs of live, I know it will probably take awhile for base rock to seed (like a 5-6 months?) but do I need to wait for it to seed before I add fish?

I also was thinking about adding so LS to top of the amount of sand I am putting in there. (about 15-20 lbs)

Now onto my questions with cycling:

I've read good things about the prawn/raw shrimp method. My questions is when I cycle with this method should I wait to add the LS and LR in until afterwards so I can avoid as much die off as possible? Or should I maybe cycle with the LS but not the LR? As I mentioned above I am getting my LR from liverocks.com and hear there is little to no die off if that affects the process at all.

Also, what should be running during the cycling process? I know my PHs should be and I usually hear not to do lights and that the skimmer won't have much to skim but can be "broken" in during this time.

Anyways, TIA for all your helpful advice.

Joshuha said:
Alright now for my last minute questions:
My tank came with 2 24" hoods (although 18" lights). I bought 2 50/50 lights for my hood but 15 watts is the max they come in. Is this going to be enough lighting for my system? I hear you can use NO lighting for FOWLR but will these lights be strong enough?
So does that mean you have 4x15w NO bulbs? If so, that will not be enough to maintain coralline algae or any photosynthetic hitchickers. It will be fine as an ambient light source though. Keep in mind that the filtration benefits of LR have nothing to do with the lighting so there is no concern there really.

40 lbs of base and 40 lbs of live, I know it will probably take awhile for base rock to seed (like a 5-6 months?) but do I need to wait for it to seed before I add fish?
No need to wait. You can add your first fish after the tank has properly cycled and they have gone through the appropraite quarantine. Just be sure you do not start off with more sensitive fish. Choose a hardier species or let the tank age a bit more depending on your livestock choices.

I also was thinking about adding so LS to top of the amount of sand I am putting in there. (about 15-20 lbs)
If your adding LR, the sand is more or less redundant and an added cost that won't benefit the tank.

Now onto my questions with cycling:
I've read good things about the prawn/raw shrimp method. My questions is when I cycle with this method should I wait to add the LS and LR in until afterwards so I can avoid as much die off as possible? Or should I maybe cycle with the LS but not the LR? As I mentioned above I am getting my LR from liverocks.com and hear there is little to no die off if that affects the process at all.
You don't necessarily need to have a nasty cycle period for a tank to properly cycle. It really depends on the set up and materials used. In the case of LR.com, many have experienced what you've been told and there has been little if any die off. That simpley means the transport/packaging was done effivciently and preserved much of the life. The beneficial bacteria contained within/on the rock will have also survived. Once the rock is in the tank I would monitor all the levels for a few days-week and guage what course of action may be required if any. Chances are you may not need to encourage extra nutrient for a stronger cycle but it is something you can also do after the fact.

Also, what should be running during the cycling process? I know my PHs should be and I usually hear not to do lights and that the skimmer won't have much to skim but can be "broken" in during this time.
IME with a LR cycle, your better off running with the skimmer. Many have their own opinions on the subject but if your going to spend that much money on LR because of what it comes with, why not do everything you can to preserve that life. If the skimmer isn't going to collect anything (which I disagree) then what will it hurt if it's running (?), nothing!! If you do end up experiencing any real die off, I'd also suggest a few daily water changes to keep ammonia and nitrite in check.

The only time I would suggest a cycle take it's course unhindered by you or artificial means would be a tank cycled with dead base rock and/or nothing worth keeping.

Cheers
Steve

If I cycle with LR do I need to add a small (probably really small) but of food for the hitchhikers that come along with the LR or will the LR itself provide enough food for them?

So cycling with LR is basically getting my tank set-up, correct readings, throw LR in, turn on skimmer/powerhead/lights (? on lights if using LR), and monitor for a few weeks (1-3?) until ammonia/nitrite/nitrate read ok and do some small water changes if the readings start fluctuating too much?

Joshuha said:
If I cycle with LR do I need to add a small (probably really small) but of food for the hitchhikers that come along with the LR or will the LR itself provide enough food for them?
The rock should sufficiently sustain the hitchikers for a time. You are not ready to add waste producing animals any time soon, so I would suggest some flake or sinking pellets 1-2 times a week. This will be moreso to sustain the bacterial colonies than the critters. Even if your numbers come up good, your still about 4 weeks off from the first fish addition and you need to keep adding a small amount of food as an ammonia source to keep the bacteria healthy.

So cycling with LR is basically getting my tank set-up, correct readings, throw LR in, turn on skimmer/powerhead/lights (? on lights if using LR), and monitor for a few weeks (1-3?) until ammonia/nitrite/nitrate read ok and do some small water changes if the readings start fluctuating too much?
Pretty much on track. With the lights you have it will depend on the spectrum to wether or not they will be a cause for nuisance algaes but their intensity shouldn't be a bother. Typically pH can fluctuate some if you end up with any die off so don't worry if it does. Monitor the tank for a few days and see if what nitrogens are produced and if nothing registers, it will be time to add a raw shrimp. If you get something I would post the results to be sure but you may be fine without the shrimp. It really depends on the condition of the LR.

Cheers
Steve

Well I am planning now on getting some PC light from captivereefs.com 48" AQUALIGHT WITH 2-65W ACTINIC / 2-65W 10,000K. So should I use these lights during cycling or will it cause too much algae growth?

You could run the actinics without much concern but I would start off the daylights at only a few hrs/day for the first week or so and then gradually increase them. That will help prevent some nasty blooms. It won't prevent algae growth completely though.

Cheers
Steve

It will also allow the coralline to adjust slowly and not bleach so much.

Back
Top Bottom