Almost there! and these problems show up...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

curiousclam120

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi! I'm new to the saltwater hobby, but I've been doing a lot of research so that I can start up a 90 gallon mixed reef. I bought a 90 gallon glass aquarium, with the stand from craigslist. I didn't like the color of the stand so I painted over it. The paint peeled off so I decided I needed to sand it. Since March I have been sanding to the bare wood and for the past few months it has been rainy weather. The stand has got wet several times because it is outside, but it dried. I'm just afraid it won't hold up 1,000+ lbs. I sat on it and stood on it and it held up fine, but I'm not a fat person so that test didnt really make a difference lol:lol:. Anyway, I'm worried that if I use it, it will not hold all the weight of the aquarium and flood the whole upstairs (yes:eek:....shocker this tank is going on the 2nd floor)! I can't do a DIY stand either and I can't buy a $500 new stand. Also, I've been looking and there are no used stands that I could buy because my tank has weird dimensions
(60"L x 15.5"W). So should I just use the stand and hope for the best:(? Any advice would help! :flowers:

Ok if you are still reading this high-five to you! Moving on, my other very important problem is that I needed a glass or acrylic sump, but since there are weird dimensions the sump would have to be 36"L x 11"W. So it would have to be custom made and not only would that cost me more than $350 with all the shipping, but also it takes a long time to make (about a month or more) because it is custom made. And plus I want to start this tank already lol, but I won't rush too fast, patience is key! So I solved this problem by getting 2 trash bins from Costco (11" x 20" x 29"). It is too high, but I will cut it. So, my questions are:
1. How can I PLUMB:dance: the two trash cans to be connected to each other and then go to an external pump back up to the tank?
2. The 1st trash bin will be for the skimmer, the 2nd for the deep sand refugium. How can I keep the sand from going to the pump or to the 1st bin? I don't want to reduce flow too much, but I don't think I can drill a hole in the bottom of the trash can to connect to the external pump. PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks for reading this and I hope I can have water in the tank by next week (that's my goal).:thanks:

Hi there. :)

I think alot depends on the actual stand if it will hold all the weight. Are any of the beams or supports warped in any way? Does it sag at any point? Is it possible for you to fill it with water as a water and weight test? I had mine setup in my garage for a couple weeks before I moved it inside.

Sorry I can't be of more help, just wanted you to know someone has read ypur post. :-D

Good luck though!

Hi. I made the mistake of not getting the right container so before you go too much further, are your trash containers food safe? You don't want chemicals from the containers seeping out in the water from them.

Carey is our Welcome goorue but she is slacking off Lol so welcome to the never ending expensive and wonderful saltwater world :)

i don't know how you are going to use trash cans as a sump. i would keep them to hold water and mix water in, but i would use something else as a sump. you will need to keep your skimmer in about 10" of water. also, cutting the tops off will weaken the containers. they are built thicker at the top for strength. if you can put these cans somewhere and utilize them as a sump, then why not put your sump in that spot?
i would purchase a 40 breeder tank from the lfs and partition it myself.

as for the stand, i think it's fine. if you want you can add 4 more 2 x 4's inside for peace of mind, but i don't think it's necessary.

Yes i got a high five! Haha and what do you mean it has wierd dimesions? Is it a hexagon or something?

Back
Top Bottom