Am i heading in the right direction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4inchSandBed

Aquarium Advice Regular
So i got my 35 gallon HEx up and running. I am about a week into my cycle using 2 raw shrimp. I just added about 20lbs of base rock with about 10lbs of live rock (about another 15lbs more live rock coming soon) I also added about 5 snails and 5 hermit crabs. They seem to be doin fine but its only been about an hour. I just wanted to make sure i was heading in the right direction.

is it okay to add hermits and snails this early?

any comments or recommendations would be highly appreciated

thanks

dont think you should have added clean up crew that quick, dont jump the gun, give it time, i know its hard to wait. Looks good otherwise.

I agree, definately too early on the cleanup crew as they won't have anything to "clean up". Be patient young apprentice and all will be well :lol:

Wait until the cycle is complete, the diatoms will start, then you can add the clean up crew... Don't want those guys to starve, and the inverts tend not to like the nitrate spikes anyway.

Well im a newbie and i wasnt sure if i could. Seems to me everyone has their own opinion on the proper way to do things. I wasnt gonna put any inverts in but the guy at the local fish store said it wouldnt be a big deal. He could have been lying just to make a sale. Hopefully they wont all die off.

The LFS gave you bad advice, Is it a major issue no... but still bad advice.... IMO you should not add anything till the cycle is done.
Your going to be adding more LR soon? Is it cured LR? If not wait till you add that before you add any more critters or fish . Adding uncured LR can cause a new cycle.
Do some reading for the next few weeks while the tank cycles.
Take things slow and always read up on what the LFS tells you because most of the time the are full of crap...
Unless your lucky enough to get one that knows what there doing. good luck with the new tank.

seaham358 said:
The LFS gave you bad advice, Is it a major issue no... but still bad advice.... IMO you should not add anything till the cycle is done.
Your going to be adding more LR soon? Is it cured LR? If not wait till you add that before you add any more critters or fish . Adding uncured LR can cause a new cycle.
Do some reading for the next few weeks while the tank cycles.
Take things slow and always read up on what the LFS tells you because most of the time the are full of crap...
Unless your lucky enough to get one that knows what there doing. good luck with the new tank.

thanks for the advice. i know im newbie and there are alot of things i dont know yet. im tryin to learn as much as possible. thank u everyone for your patience.

When I got into the hobby I read , read and read more... I am still learning new stuff all the time. You will also find there are usually several ways to do things and you will need to pick which one will work best for you.

Back
Top Bottom