Am i still cycling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Steve silbernagel

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've been up and running for 9 weeks now. I'm running a 55gal. 50lbs live sand and 40lbs cured live rock. My question is does my cycle start over every time I add new live rock. Bc I've been adding live rock every week to the tank since I've started. I test my water every week good results. I've even had my LFS test it. I'm also looking at adding 10-20 lbs of dry Fiji from Craigslist and what will that do besides eventually turn back into live rock.

Attachments

• image-3076087452.jpg
    image-3076087452.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 131
Cured rock should have a small impact on your ammonia levels, dry rock should not effect them at all, uncured rock can spike your ammonia, so to answer your question...it can definitely start a mini cycle...but it won't necessarily, it just depends.

Thx for the reply. I've had very low ammonia results. One tiny spike but that was at week 6 I added 3 gal of RO water for top off and it went away. The rock I'm looking at must have been bleached bc it's clean looking

How did you initially cycle the tank?

When moving live rock you can lose some of the beneficial bacteria and it will cause a slight ammonia rise- but if you are fully cycled it should be minimal. Base rock is best to add after a cycle. If the rock isn't fully cured it is best to cure it in a big bin with a power head and watch the water levels.

How about this rock I believe it's base rock. I found it

Attachments

• image-2773065186.jpg
    image-2773065186.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image-3192379610.jpg
    image-3192379610.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 96
Steve silbernagel said:
How about this rock I believe it's base rock. I found it

Base rock is pure white and has been dry for a very LONG time. Where did you find it?

Hose it off really well and let it sit in a bucket of saltwater with a spare power head or pump and see if you get any readings in a week.

Personally I wouldn't use it, but I suppose you know better than anyone what has been in your backyard. This time of year our neighborhood is sprayed with pesticide for the mosquitoes, If I were to use it....I would bleach it well and let it air dry before using it.

Running ground water for now goin to get 5 gal SW tomorrow. I'm gonna run it for a week and test it. It's pretty solid rock Florida base rock u can see shell fossil and sorts all over it. would it be good to throw a piece good harty live rock in with it???

Attachments

• image-2716882544.jpg
    image-2716882544.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 88
Steve silbernagel said:
Running ground water for now goin to get 5 gal SW tomorrow. I'm gonna run it for a week and test it. It's pretty solid rock Florida base rock u can see shell fossil and sorts all over it. would it be good to throw a piece good harty live rock in with it???

I would let it run it's course for a week in saltwater ad then test the water

Back
Top Bottom