Am im ready to add fish and coral?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skylarcrosby

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All my test a great. My live rock has been in for 3 weeks. Got a lot of the purple algae that's spreading to other rocks. Can I add some frags and fish?

First off did you ever see a spike in ammonia or nitrite? if you are saying your ammonia is 0, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is between 0-20 you can add a clean up crew of snails, hermits and crabs. I would then wait another couple days to make sure parameters stay good then add your first fish. What type of lights do you have? If they are coral capable you can add corals around the time you add fish. Also, I highly doubt your coralline is spreading it takes months for the stuff to start growing. I would make sure it isn't Cyanobacteria as it can look similar to coralline but peels off easily and is a pest algae.

Yes I had spikes. I already have a clean up crew been in the a few weeks. Yes I'm sure it's the purple stuff.

I got some lights from my pet store he is very good. They were expensive and they are the bright and then blue

You could try some easier frags like Xenia, mushrooms, Kenya tree to start and see how they do. Also forgot to ask but what size is the tank? Tank sounds like it's good to go for fish and coral though.

Not yet. Been takin it one step at a time. Lol. I know some tangs don't know which ones through. And forgot the names of the corals

For tangs If I would stick one in that small of a tank (tang speaking) I would do a kole or tomini. A yellow would probably fit too but I would only choose 1 from that list. They can be super aggressive towards each other and a 55 doesn't offer much room for territories or for multiple
6-7 " fish.

It takes a lot longer than 3 weeks for coralline algae to spread like you are saying. What is this fixture called that your LFS sold you?
Could you post a picture of the tank?

Something seems odd here...we have a tank that cycled in three weeks and that has coralline algae spreading in record time. It all seems impossibly fast to me. The CUC is still alive after being in the tank the whole time? If they were in there while cycling, i would think they would have died with ammonia and nitrite spikes. I'm kinda questioning if this is all as it sounds.

How did you cycle the tank? What are your parameters? How are you testing? What kind of light? Your LFS should know exactly what it is if you do not.

Back
Top Bottom