Amateur Needs Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spiderman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys!

I have a 25 gallon SW tank that's 2 months old. It has 2 small clowns, a small royal gramma, and a juvenile Banggai cardinal. I also have 3 snails, 2 hermit crabs and a cleaner shrimp. I change the water 10% each week, and all water tests are good. They're all copacetic and everything's perfect. I love it!

My question is: Would it be possible to add just one more fish - a small six-line wrasse - after about a month? My fiancee and I plan to get a 75g tank in a year's time and will move 'em all there. Is the system overstocked? Some experts I asked said that it's totally ok to add the wrasse - assuming they all get along, don't overfeed, and do regular maintenance, I won't have problems.

I get conflicting opinions in terms of fish per gallon. Some say 5 gallons per inch of fish. Michael Paletta's book suggests a loose guideline of 2 gallons per inch of fish. Ideally, the more gallons per fish the better, but I think 5 fish that won't grow more than 2.5" - 3" each in a 25 gallon tank could be reasonable.

Advice, please.

i have a 20g with a simular deal and i know im way over what i should be wich makes me stress and get a little crazy with maitnence. at least untill the new tank is ready to move half them into. so i would not recomend it cause i know the deal and even if the wrasse is cool dont do it

First off...WELCOME TO AA!!! :D :D :D
You found the best aquarium advice forum on the internet. I would not add any more fish until you complete the up-grade. Five fish in a 25 gal. would be a bit tight. Good luck...Lando

Generally Royal Gramma's and six-line wrasse's will not get along, especially in a small tank. You may want to try when putting together the 75g if you add them simultaneously and have alot of rockwork.

Phases99 is correct IMHO. I have a gramma and he is pretty territorial. Thats a pretty small space for 2 fish who are likely to go at it any way. Placing them in the new tank together will help work out the territorial issues. If not, just do what I did, flush the gramma......Ok, jk, but he is a pain in the arse to his neighbors some times, even in my 75G. Check out my pics, you can sorta get the idea.

sixline wrasse and a pink pseudochromis

I have a 54g corner tank with loads of LR and caves I have an established fullgrown pink pseudochromis. I am about to add a sixline wrasse to help eat mucus off my maxima clams. Will this work or will the pseudochromis harass him too much?

I would wait. Patience is the best way to go.

I have a 37 gallon tank which will soon have 5 small fish in it, and thats considered overstocking.

I have a six line and a Royal Gramma together in my 72gallon
I added them both at the same time. I have lots of rock work and the 2 never bothered eachother.

the key to that success Diablo, is the co-introduction to the tank and plenty of room and rock for them to "have their own space"

The BIGGEST MISTAKE is adding "just one more fish" that's how I crashed my system. Just get a bigger tank, okay.

Have fun, if you really want, replace your fish, or add corals (w/better lighting). That's why I joined AA so I could learn how to not totally
censored.gif
up.

Wait, spiderman didn't you read The New Marine Aquarium. It clearly says not to add an extra fish. You recommended it to me.
BTW thank you, its a great book.
thumb.gif

Back
Top Bottom