Ammolock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

djones169

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
okay so I have received conflicting reports about this product. does it leave the ammonia available for the bacteria to grow or does it make it unusable for anything?
I have heard both But would like clarification.

I have also read both theories. lol I would be more concerned with getting rid of the ammonia to begin with.

Are you cycling with fish or anything or do you just have ammonia?

Situation

I bought thr tank already set up. 55g with only a heater and an hob filter. 1 fish, 2 hermit crabs, 2 snails, 1 Cc star. 1 2lb live rock, 5 lbs sand, aragonite substrate.

She said the tank had been up and running 2 months. Hadnt done any water changes since starting.

I started with doing a 50%. Added 2 powerheads. Doing 25-40% weekly since. Added ammolock as the ammonia was very high. Also added 25lbs more live sand, and 8lbs more live rock. Plan to get more but broke my bank getting this far.

Ahh I see. You did good for what you had to work with. if you keep adding live rock without curing it by the way it can cause ammonia due to die off on the rock when transporting it.

You can get base rock now instead of live rock, it's alot cheaper. :) it will become live over time. It also looks really good. lol

I would keep on the pwcs' until you get the ammonia below .25ppm. Do you have an API liquid test kit? Do you know what your nitrites, nitrates are at? We can see if you're still in a cycle by those numbers.

I don't have an adequate test kit. I have the do steps for now. Showing some nitrites with rising nitrates. Ammonia tester is old. Little yellow labeled bottle that I drop 5 drops into 5ml of water. If it comes up not clear, there is ammonia. The live rock I am adding is already cured. From an established tank

It looks like your in the middle of a cycle if you have all three evident. But it's mid cycle since you have nitrates.

Before you buy any more rock I would very very strongly urge you to spend the $20 or so and get the master saltwater test kit. Do you have a fish store around that can check your water to confirm your results? The old ammonia tester could be way off....you might be busting your hump for no reason. lol

just my opinion but either way keep up the pwc's. :-D

as to the lr being cured, was it out of water for any time at all? It could have had die off even though it's such a small amount of rock. The rock is supposed to be the filter in sw, well 80% of it anyway. The established tank may not have cycled properly to begin with. just don't know for sure

good luck!

Lol I still need to knew if ammo lock is preventing my beneficial bacteria from converting the ammonia

Ammolock does nothing but bind the ammonia so it`s less lethal. Dont buy it. Do PWC`s and find out what`s producing the ammonia. Are you introducing it yourself by using tap water or is something dieing or decaying?

Introduced new live sand, and live rock. It had ammonia readings when I brought it home. If it didnt have life already in it,i would have started over from scratch. I bought the ammo lock because I wanted to eliminate the toxicity of the ammonia while the tank cycles again.

Back
Top Bottom