ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jhoffa92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gallon tank I just switched from a 40 my skimmer is a coral reef 100 I recently did test and my ammonia is at 0.25 I know this is bad how can I fix

how long ago did you set the tank up. ammonia should not be present in n established tank as beneficial bacteria would be present to deal with this. best thing to do is a big water change. but if it is a new tank set up over time the issues will get less as the tank cycles

I just moved from a 40 to a 55 when I had the 40 up for 3 months it tested fine once I did the transfer is when it spiked

Yeah they must be some die off or something, I would just keep an eye on it and do regualr water changes until it is at 0 and staying there as the last thing you want is for the stock to be put at risk.

Lucky for me I have no fish yet just inverts so they are all doing fine I will hang in their and run test frequently to make sure it doesn't spike higher I will also do a 10 gallon water change weekly to see if this helps thanks for all the help

personally if you can I would do it twice a week at the start just to be sure but just my opinion. and tbh if its only a small amount of ammonia may only take a week or two to get down to zero. just keep an eye on it though as ammonia is dangerous to fish inverts and corals so obv if the levels get too much it could kill your inverts too

Ok will do 2 times a week thanks I have had freshwater for 10 yes new to salt loving the knowledge of what it takes to maintain and setup tho so much more fun

Zero on the ammonia my readings look good man thanks for all the help

No worries just glad tanks ok it's horrible when worried bout stuff going wrong

No doubt man i test weekly just cause I am so new at this. So I take extra care of things and think 3 times before throwing stuff in there best rule I have learned is the only thing that happens fast in saltwater are mistakes lol I live by this rule

Back
Top Bottom