ammonia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any ammonia at all is bad. Different inverts react to different levels of amm. You shouldn't ever have more than the minimum on your test kit (.25) unless you have just started out or have added too many fish at once or have had something die in your tank. It needs to be zero.

IMO ammonia should be at 0 ppm any time you have animals in the system. Even low levels of ammonia are especially toxic to invert.
If you question your ammonia level, you should take a sample to your LFS for comparison. Some test kits are notoriously inaccurate.

it's a 7 days newly set up tank. LR just arrived and came with some interverbrates too.. so i was wondering... whether they can survive?

it's a 7 days newly set up tank. LR just arrived and came with some interverbrates too.. so i was wondering... whether they can survive?
With what they have been through, they will probably survive. Optimal water quality is nessary for the long term survival of these creatues just like anything else you may add to the system.
A cycle is a needed part of any young system. If they survived the transport, they will probably survive the cycle. :wink:

Looks like the pest anemone Anemonia Majano. I recieved a few of these in my LR.com shipment. They are considered a pest and should be removed by mechanical means. My Maculosus angel picked mine apart before they became much of a problem.
They are not glass aptaisa and are not a huge pest, I wouldn't stress too much over them unless you see them multiply.

It is similar to aptasia and can use joes juice to rid the tank of it. You can see the clear arms with the bands not like aptasia. Like QS said if they are not spreading just enjoy. I have 3 aptasia that I leave in the tank. My peppermint shrimp eats all th small one and new ones but wont touch these big ones. As long as they are kept in check it is OK.

ammonia reading is 2.0ppm. is this normal?
That is normal for a cycle. IMO if the hitchikers survived the transit, there is a good chance they can survive the cycle. Just don't place any fish until the cycle is complete.

Your amm will probably end up in the 6.0 to 8.0 range before it starts falling. Mine went off the test charts before it went down.

something like white cotton "fungus" on the LR. what is that? is that the die off of the rocks? is this normal to the new set up tank? :cry:
what should i do about this?

besides that, i bought the joes juice for the aiptasia. it grow like crazy. saw a lot of young aiptasia in my tank. well, i know i can use peppermint shrimp but now the ammonia is 4ppm. so i think no one will recommend to put the shrimp in....

any advice?

Wait for the cycle to end and then start with a cleanup crew and a shrimp. Make sure to do a large water change after the cycle completes to reduce nitrates. The shrimp will do fine after that point.

white cotton "fungus" on the LR. what is that?

Yes, that is LR die off. Normal. Since your tank has not yet cycled (Ammonia at 2ppm), you're going to get a big ammonia spike, followed by a big nitrite spike, followed by a big nitrate spike.

IMO, do multiple water changes during this time in an attempt to keep these spikes to a lower level. This will extend the time it takes to fully cycle, but will give any critters on your LR a better chance of survival.

Back
Top Bottom