Ammonia question. Many reads, first post.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ewisner

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone. I have been reading and learning for a few weeks. Thank you all for sharing so much information. I appears I have broken most all the "rules". I have started almost completely over. I have looked to all your wonderful advise on each step this time around.
Enough of the sucking up, lol.
My question:
My last down fall, a 50 gallon tank went milky white over night with thick off white to brown slime??? All were lost, :(. Removed everything. Filled with 60 lbs LS and started a new. I am doing a fishless cycle (fresh shirmp), this time. The Ammonia is up to 7-8 ppm, 1 week into the rebirth. Nitrite and Nitrates at 0. Ph 8.2 Sal. 1023

Is this high Ammonia common in fish less cycle? I did not reach this level in my first try / mistake.

I will wait out the strom, this time. I also just started a 40 gal tank and 10 gal hospital tank. Asper the groups many suggestions to others starting out.

Ammonia is the first step in the cycling process. It will be a few weeks and then you will see this drop and Nitrite will become detectable. After a few more weeks maybe, the addition of LS is a plus, they both should be subsided and you may get a close to or 0 reading on both ammonia and nitrite. You will then be able to slowly stock the tank..BTW, do not do a water change during the cycle it will only prolong the cycle.... Don't worry about PH levels right now, as they will swing up and down during this process...I know the tank isn't much to look at without life forms in it, but, it will be worth the wait.... :fadein:

You have some heart! I have to give you some credit for knowing to restart. Ammonia is suposed to be high, just ride that out, and then ride out the Nitrate. Kudos for signing up on my birthday too.

Thanks all for the kind words.
There is no LR. I was thinking about adding some this go around. I decided to wait until I get a sign of success. Enough of God's creatures have passed at my hand, :(. There is a store near by that has LR. They have a batch curing now. Perhaps when some is ready I will add some.
No worries on giving up. I had LONG ago kept SW fish. That was far easier, I am afraid. At the time I was in Grand Cayman teaching scuba. Water changes were quite easy. A pump inlet simply ran into the sea. OK, cheating, I know. Stocking the tanks in the bar was much easier also!
I will get thru this, this I am sure. As you all have said in many posting...waiting is the only hard part of the hobby.
I am surprised at the volume of "unused equipment" you come across from people who have thrown in the towel.
I would like to know where I went wrong to cause milky white cloud and slime. This is what seems to have caused the loss of life??? My fear will this may return after fish are added again.
As I learn and gain knowledge, be assured I will extend help to others.
Thanks Again!!!

I would like to know where I went wrong to cause milky white cloud and slime

Well, it is hard to say what it was...By the description, I would say bacteria bloom. I had one about 5 months ago and it looked like someone poured a half gallon of milk in there...luckily, I did not lose anything to it. I got a HOT Magnum HOB and put in the micron filter with diatom powder and in about 24 hours it was clear as a bell. I was also leaving my lights on too long in upwards of 16 to 18 hours per day.. ( I have timers for that now )

If you take it slow this time and ride out the cycle, try not to overstock the tank and add only a few if not one fish at a time..once every week to two weeks... this will allow the bacteria to catch up and handle the new load... There is more, but, I will let someone else comment..

If you can get the rock cheaper in its uncured state, now is the time to get it. It can help in the cycling process and build a nice bacteria colony while the tank is cycling.

Back
Top Bottom