ammonia readings in water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

klcon1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am getting low ammonia readings in my saltwater I use for water changes. I have a 44 gal Brute bucket I keep saltwater in. I've been getting a .25 ammonia reading in it for a while now. I use the same kit with my tank and get 0 readings. I have been running a fliter with ammonia remover in it for a couple days now and it isn't getting any better. I use a RO/DI unit with In
stant Ocean Reef Crystals to make the water. Any suggestions or ideas?

I thought that but there is nothing in there for it to get stuck in. Its an empty bucket of water. I had a maxi jet in there to keep it flowing so it didn't get stagnant so I took that out too, just in case. I'm completely stumped.

How long do you mix the water and leave it in the bucket? If I leave my water in a BRUTE bin it smells foul and there is some residue.

obscureeef- I leave it all the time. I keep about 44 gallons ready in case I need it. I usually run a maxi jet in the bucket to keep the water moving around in the bucket so it doesn't sit still and get nasty. I had a brown film too and cleaned it out with a sponge and filter.

Yeah that's probably the issue. I'm not that paranoid/prepared that my tank is going to crash, but it's nice to keep 5 gallons off to the side. It might be better to just have RO/DI water with no salt added. Add the salt when needed. I have a powerhead when mixing saltwater too and even when on, if the saltwater is mixed for 3 or more days it starts to smell.

I do not have one. I only have an issue with the water for water changes. My aquarium is good.

Back
Top Bottom