Ammonia still at 1ppm

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josof

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,
I decided to take the plunge and start a nano saltwater tank (20gal) about 4 weeks back. So i got the tank, got some live sand and some live rock and filled it with saltwater(tap water mixed with IO salt and salinity at around 1.023). The lfs guy asked me to wait for 3 weeks and then bring a sample to test. So after 3 weeks, i got it tested and saw that everything else was perfect except that the ammonia was at 1ppm. He asked me to wait for one more week. So today i took a sample again and still the ammonia is at 1ppm.
I told him that i now see a lot of algae kind of film on my glass and the sandbed and the rocks. So he said that means my cycle is completed.

Do you guys think my cycle is completed or is it stalled? Since the ammonia is not getting consumed, should i introduce some bacteria like mardel biozyme?
I have not changed the water ever so should i go ahead and do a partial water change?

Thanks
jo

if you still have ammonia present, it's not completed. that rock and sand must have had a lot of dead matter on it and it's taking longer to process. i would not do a water change now. i would continue waiting.

as Mr x has said,your tank isnt cycled yet,let it take its course.Give it another week and test again,I would buy some test kits for yourself if you can

Back
Top Bottom