Ammonia stuck but my tank looks great

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nick862

Aquarium Advice Activist
So i upgraded my tank from a 55g to a 100g, using existing rock (23kg) also added another 15kg of mature rock from lfs. Used new sand (25kg). I cycled my tank using a shrimp and after 4 weeks I had to add the few fish that I had in my old tank, I had nowhere to keep them any more, I also had corals attached to the LR from my old tank. The ammonia levels have never dropped below 0.2 and my nitrate/nitrite are 0. What's going on, the tank has been running for 6 weeks and in a previous post I had mixed advice on if the tank would even need cycling again as I was using matured LR.

Prams: ammonia 0.2 nitrate 0 nitrites 0

I'm running a bubble Magnus curv 7 and a gyrator 1000 with 500ml of nitrate pearls

Stocking: 4 chromis and one algae beleny 12 hermits, 7 tubos 2 emeralds

All living feeding happily

Thanks

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420565102.785021.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420565171.401265.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420565189.153761.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420565205.636916.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What test are you using? If you had detectable ammonia your coral wouldn't look like that. I would suspect either not testing right or a bad test kit. The use of rock from your already established tank would have ensured no cycle would occur.

What test are you using? If you had detectable ammonia your coral wouldn't look like that. I would suspect either not testing right or a bad test kit. The use of rock from your already established tank would have ensured no cycle would occur.

That's true, but it's possible that there is a problem with the rock that was newly added causing some ammonia leeching. It's most likely the test though.

It is odd that there are no nitrites or nitrates, as the beneficial bacteria from the live rock should be moving the ammonia towards that end. With only a few fish in a larger tank, that could take a while to register.

Can you take your water to a LFS to see what they read for parameters?

Hi guys, using a tropic Marine expert kit, I did get the lfs to test but they use the same kit, I'll get a different kit today. Cheers

I have not heard much feedback on that kit. I'm not sure I would worry too much if the corals are looking okay. Were those pictures current, or before the swap?

The pictures was today, the fish are feeding really and are so lively. This is the test ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420656745.839514.jpg

Tonight's pictures with only blue lights on
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420656832.708715.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1420656909.654363.jpg

There's so much coralline algae on my rocks, no die off ( white patches) so I'm thinking it must be the test kit, bit annoyed as this test cost me 45 notes! Any advice on a good kit?

Back
Top Bottom