amonia and nitrite levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wanderer90

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok the tank is in full cycle and i thought the amonia levels would stop peaking before the nitrite levels peaked... they are both peaking at the same time.. is this normal... i have a 150 gal tank with 2" live sand and 50lbs of live rock with dead coral aquascape. TIA really appreciate all the help you guys and gals have given me in this forum.... :lol:

It really depends on what you've used to initiate the ammonia to start the cycle. If the LR, it could be the amount of die off or if you have used a dead shrimp, it may need to be removed? Ammonia is not always zero while nitrites are peaking depending on the source.

Either way the continually high ammonia will subside once the excessive source that is fueling it has been depleted or removed. Once the NH3 is managable, the nitrite will follow. When was it set up?

If this is to be a reef tank, I would suggest alot more LR or at least dead base rock. You will not have enough suface area for colonizing bacteria and will not be able to sustain much of a bioload. I would suggest another 200 lb of either.

Cheers
Steve

hey steve,

the tank was set up a week ago sunday, if you can take a look at the pics in my gallery you will see the tank. there are also two hermits who are doing well in there and eating a lot of the dead stuff off the live rock. i have a lot of dead rock and coral in there i was thinking of puting some coral and anemones and compatible fish TIA

The rock will give you a certain amount of die off but at a week you really shouldn't be considering animal additions just yet. The tank will be another few weeks at least before it's ready. To be honest, I'm suprised the hermits are still alive 8O . Most inverts cannot tolerate NH3 for any length of time.

As far as the anemone is concerned the tank should really be run for a least a year before one should be purchased. The tank will not really be stable for the 8 months at least and needs the time to mature properly. Anemones need pristine conditions that a new tank cannot provide. If a hosting anemone, you will also need to consider good lights. Your profile does not indicate what you have for light so I can't comment as yet.

The fish should not be added until the NH3 and NO2 have reached zero and stayed there a while. What I would suggest is setting up a smaller Q-tank so that once the NO2 does start to fall you can purchase the clowns and place them there. After their 4 week stint in the QT is over, the tank should be somewhat ready as well providing the fish remained healthy.

Keep in mind though that if you do decide to add more rock it should be done as soon as possible or cure the LR seperately after the fact. Dead base rock will not need to be pre-cured.

Cheers
Steve

hey steve,

thanks for the advice i really appreciate it and oh trust me i'm not adding any fish for awhile and i will take your advice about the anemone. the crabs are very happy and doing well i guess i'm just lucky on that part. :lol:

as of lighting i only have what came with the tank when i purchased it, two floresent fixtures with one bulb in them each... not a good bulb either look like just a basic floresent... i am gonna make a hanging fixture with 4 bulbs 36" each putting one actinic behind and a coral sun 10,000k in front one each side. that should be good enough to support coral and anemones right????

i am starting to get some brown algea on the sand and dead coral when the cycle is over and i put a cleaning staff in will they take care of that brown algea?

TIA leo

wanderer90 said:
i will take your advice about the anemone.
(y)

as of lighting i only have what came with the tank when i purchased it, two floresent fixtures with one bulb in them each... not a good bulb either look like just a basic floresent... i am gonna make a hanging fixture with 4 bulbs 36" each putting one actinic behind and a coral sun 10,000k in front one each side. that should be good enough to support coral and anemones right????
On a 150 gal tank this is not going to work. If I am not mistaken, "Sun Coral" would suggest these are NO bulbs and wouldn't even dent the surface so to speak. With a depth of 24" you will need at least 4x165w VHO or 12x55w PC for bare minimum reef lighting that may support some types of hosting anemones. To be completely honest, you'd be much better off with 2x165w VHO actinic + 3x250w MH.

i am starting to get some brown algea on the sand and dead coral when the cycle is over and i put a cleaning staff in will they take care of that brown algea?
Brown algae aka diatoms is very normal in new tanks and will eventually die off on it's own, don't let it concern you. Once the NH3 and NO2 levels stay at zero, you can then look into additional critters to take care of the "left overs" :p

Hope your good luck continues long into the future!
Cheers
Steve

for 150gal that is not enough lighting.. You would want at least 750watts of light to be on the high side.. Reccomended is 3-5watts per gal.. I would say get 2 250watt MH fixtures with 2 VHO actinic 03 bulbs.. That should be enough for most corals and anemones.. Me personally I have 330watts of PC lighting on a 55gal..

HTH,
James

Back
Top Bottom