Amphipod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hockeydude15

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just recently realized when shining a flashlight on my tank (trying to find a fish in crevices...yeah idk) that I have a lot of amphipods. Apparently it is a good thing for the most part. But I read that if you see your fish shaking and shuttering that the amphipods may be causing your fish discomfort. Ofcourse right when I look at my tank thats exactly what my one fish is doing. Am I overreacting or do I need to do something about it?

38 gal
fowlr
4 damsels

Never heard of that about amphipods. Just curious where you read that?

Have you tested for ammonia or nitrites to rule out your water parameters?

Thanks for the link. I've never heard of that being a problem. Normally, once you put fish in a tank, it seems like folks are trying everything to keep their pod population up! I know I had tons in the beginning, but once I started stocking their population pretty much plummeted!

If your fish are acting abnormal, I'd look toward water parameters first. Is everything testing OK?

Wow, definitely thanks for that link! It does say once they get bigger, they will move off the fish and find a place in the substrate or LR.
I agree, what is the damsel doing? Some fish will shimmy or shake for breeding purposes.
Definitely get us some water readings.

Hmmm...that is interesting. I would expect this in a very very mature tank that has no fish in it that eat pods.

Thanks for the information though!

I believe that I was overreacting after observing for the last few days. But I did see that the one damselfish was shuddering almost as if he was trying to shake something off. But he seems fine now.

Wow, definitely thanks for that link! It does say once they get bigger, they will move off the fish and find a place in the substrate or LR.
I agree, what is the damsel doing? Some fish will shimmy or shake for breeding purposes.
Definitely get us some water readings.

Maybe it was shaking for breeding purposes... I didnt know they did that.

I know some clowns will do this (they are damselfish as well).

Back
Top Bottom