Anchoring Grape Algae plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

EMS503

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all. I just recieved my Algae plant order from Inland Aquatics.
There was a ton of Grape Calupera in it. I anchored it in my refugium by placing part of it under the live rock. Is the way it should be. the rest of the strands are floating just above the rock. There were 4 other Algae plants Feather, Razor, Two unknown types one looks somewhat like Java moss only coarse, the other looks like a broad leaf seaweed The moss type I just let settle to the bottom the others I anchored like the Grape.
The rest of the order was Amphipods, Mini brittle stars and so on.
The order was loaded and all looks great. Unlike another source which will remain nameless. If this is the way to anchor it great if not would someone please tell me the proper way. Thanks

My grape caulerpa seems to prefer anchoring itself in the sand with it's roots while the rest of the algae rests on and above the sand. It grows quickly and is easy to harvest UNLIKE feather caulerpa which I would remove before it gets a foot hold if I were you. The razor is almost as easy to harvest and doesn't grow quite as fast but is more decorative IMO. The grape will grow an inch or several in a day in good conditions. The amphipods, copepods, ostracodes, limpets, etc. enjoy the grape caulerpa more so than any other species of alga in my tank (and I have had plenty, ask Guy or Kevin).

Good luck and I hope it grows well for you.

Mark

Back
Top Bottom