Anenome-is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How is the flow in the tank? Neither the anemone nor the leather appears to be pushed by the flow much in the pictures.

I wasn't saying the pics weren't the actual readings, I was just saying that it needs to be confirmed. Maybe run the tests another time to be sure. And yes, I also agree the nitrates are way too high. If the next water test confirms the parameters, then definitely do a large water change. I don't necessarily agree with "washing" the old media, but maybe rinsing it in the old tank water.

I'm sorry is I worded it as I was attacking you or your comment .
It wasn't intended as that .
Nitrites look like 0 in the test which is good .
I want to ask though , I only run mine with a canister filter and every week I empty everything and rinse everything in fresh water till it's clean then put back in .
All I have is ceramic pieces a blue sponge like piece and filter floss.
Should I avoid rinsing ?
It helps keep nitrates down that's why I haven't stopped yet .

I'm sorry is I worded it as I was attacking you or your comment .
It wasn't intended as that .
Nitrites look like 0 in the test which is good .
I want to ask though , I only run mine with a canister filter and every week I empty everything and rinse everything in fresh water till it's clean then put back in .
All I have is ceramic pieces a blue sponge like piece and filter floss.
Should I avoid rinsing ?
It helps keep nitrates down that's why I haven't stopped yet .

Totally cool no worries... If you rinse with fresh water, especially tap water, you will wipe out the bacteria. I always squeeze my filter sponge in the bucket of water that came from the tank, as well as swish around my media bag of GFO. This will get the "nitrate factory" aspect out of the media, but still maintain the bacteria.

Totally cool no worries... If you rinse with fresh water, especially tap water, you will wipe out the bacteria. I always squeeze my filter sponge in the bucket of water that came from the tank, as well as swish around my media bag of GFO. This will get the "nitrate factory" aspect out of the media, but still maintain the bacteria.

I will try ,
I assumed I had enough BB already established and knowing canister filters in the salty hobby is a huge issue cause of being known as nitrate factories rinsing in fresh water seamed like the best way .
I was actually considering getting rid of the canister and running only on the skimmer and the 2 lbs of rocks per gallon .

If you're going to use unsalted, at least use RODI water. I use a skimmer and HOB filter with a sponge, and GFO.

BUT to stay on topic here, have you tested the water again? Also, Mr. X brought up a good point about flow...

Yes let me say I'm not trying to go by a gut feeling or at all trying to be foolish about what I am doing, I'm having a difficult time understanding the nitrate cycle I waited 8 weeks or so after I put the live rock in because I was told I needed to wait till the ammonia dropped out of the water and for my tank to cycle...once this was complete I started, and did weekly tests at the store where they said everything was perfect. I got the at home kit and I am just trying to figure it out. So on Friday I was told my nitrites were 20 and nitrates 0 I tested at home tonight and the nitrites are 0 but nitrates I think are around 40 (it's really hard for me to determine by the chart that's y I posted a picture) I did not have trouble with my nitrites or nitrates until about a month ago when I had a fish die....the LFS told me to so 10-20% water changes every other day, which I have been doing, and on Saturday I did a huge water change about 45% if my nitrites are 0 y r my nitrates so high, If this is the end if the cycle? I am so confused about nitrates, the way they explained it to me at the store is like CO poisoning for humans and it is most likely from the fish dying in my tank. Thats what made me wonder if the leather coral could be dead and producing the nitrates but then again this nitrate cycle has been explained to me in many ways and I'm not sure y it's not sinking in to my brain.

I did not have a current in my tank bc the LFS did not tell me I needed one. My friend started working for A fish company and asked me y I didn't so he have me on on Friday. When I put it in my annenome moved and snapped back to life. I was just about to remove him because I was positive he was dead (I will attach a picture) I kno that everyone has said it is to soon for him but I was told differently when I purchased him and I didn't kno any better. It would be difficult to remove him bc he is behind my rocks. Also it was suggested that something may be picking on him and I noticed my cleaner shrimp is. I don't kno if that's y he started hiding or not.

My test as of an hour ago:

Salinity: 1.025
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 40-60??
Ammonia: 0
Kh: 210
Calcium: 500
PH: 8.2
Temp: 79

Attachments

• image-610993557.jpg
    image-610993557.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 89
  • image-3307446989.jpg
    image-3307446989.jpg
    226.8 KB · Views: 62
  • image-3053185207.jpg
    image-3053185207.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 75
Don't worry about not understanding it at first, it is CONFUSING... Basically, a short version, ammonia, which is produced by fish waste, leftover food, etc, is converted to nitrite due to bacteria in the tank which gets established through cycling, and then further gets converted to nitrates. The nitrates need to be removed through water changes. Ideally, you want to be as close to 0 as possible, which is why if you are at 40-60, you would need a pretty hefty water change. After you do the water change, test again... Just keep at it, we will help you get through it :cool:

Yes let me say I'm not trying to go by a gut feeling or at all trying to be foolish about what I am doing, I'm having a difficult time understanding the nitrate cycle I waited 8 weeks or so after I put the live rock in because I was told I needed to wait till the ammonia dropped out of the water and for my tank to cycle...once this was complete I started, and did weekly tests at the store where they said everything was perfect. I got the at home kit and I am just trying to figure it out. So on Friday I was told my nitrites were 20 and nitrates 0 I tested at home tonight and the nitrites are 0 but nitrates I think are around 40 (it's really hard for me to determine by the chart that's y I posted a picture) I did not have trouble with my nitrites or nitrates until about a month ago when I had a fish die....the LFS told me to so 10-20% water changes every other day, which I have been doing, and on Saturday I did a huge water change about 45% if my nitrites are 0 y r my nitrates so high, If this is the end if the cycle? I am so confused about nitrates, the way they explained it to me at the store is like CO poisoning for humans and it is most likely from the fish dying in my tank. Thats what made me wonder if the leather coral could be dead and producing the nitrates but then again this nitrate cycle has been explained to me in many ways and I'm not sure y it's not sinking in to my brain. I did not have a current in my tank bc the LFS did not tell me I needed one. My friend started working for A fish company and asked me y I didn't so he have me on on Friday. When I put it in my annenome moved and snapped back to life. I was just about to remove him because I was positive he was dead (I will attach a picture) I kno that everyone has said it is to soon for him but I was told differently when I purchased him and I didn't kno any better. It would be difficult to remove him bc he is behind my rocks. Also it was suggested that something may be picking on him and I noticed my cleaner shrimp is. I don't kno if that's y he started hiding or not. My test as of an hour ago: Salinity: 1.025 Nitrites: 0 Nitrates: 40-60?? Ammonia: 0 Kh: 210 Calcium: 500 PH: 8.2 Temp: 79

High nitrates is normal seeing as that 1 dead fish would have produced a increase in ammonia .
Nitrite which was then transformed to nitrate .
The only way to remove nitrates is with frequent partial water changes .
Seeing your high nitrates I'm surprised your urchin still has all it's quills.
If you read live aquaria .com it states they can not tolerate nitrates and will lose their quills .
Water movement has a lot to do with gas exchange which could be a huge contributor to your high nitrates too .
Nitrogen gas can not be circulated and released into the atmosphere via the surface .
Just for the fun of learning more about salty and reef keeping I want to suggest scrolling through different getting started threads on here and any questions you have either google or ask here .
I'm trying to think of a good reference site or link but coming up blank lol

High nitrates is normal seeing as that 1 dead fish would have produced a increase in ammonia . Nitrite which was then transformed to nitrate . The only way to remove nitrates is with frequent partial water changes . Seeing your high nitrates I'm surprised your urchin still has all it's quills. If you read live aquaria .com it states they can not tolerate nitrates and will lose their quills . Water movement has a lot to do with gas exchange which could be a huge contributor to your high nitrates too . Nitrogen gas can not be circulated and released into the atmosphere via the surface . Just for the fun of learning more about salty and reef keeping I want to suggest scrolling through different getting started threads on here and any questions you have either google or ask here . I'm trying to think of a good reference site or link but coming up blank lol

I will have to check that website out! Thanks for the advice....gosh I feel like I've been doing these water changes like a maniac but I will continue, so about the water movement, r u saying it's a bad thing? Or good? I'm a little confused by that part =\ I will look it up tho! Also I've had a lot if responses about the nitrates but I'm still trying to figure out if that leather coral is alive Or not ...i tried looking it up but I can't find nething about dead corals it don't kno if it needs to be removed

The leather isnt dead yet, but it looks like it is on its way out. :-(
For the record, I keep two urchins in my fowlr system which has nitrates and they have been perfectly fine for years, I am NOT saying not to get the nitrates down though, thats necessary if you want to keep that anemone and any other corals alive.
The reading looks to me to be about 50 or so so yeah, get that down with water changes. I may be a bit confused, but are you running a canister filter? If so make sure you clean out any debris and gunk out of it as you can change all the water you want in the tank, if the canister isnt perfectly clean then you will forever have nitrate readings.
Hope that helps/.

Back
Top Bottom