Anenome questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J8kpin

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys,

I have a percula clownfish, and im intrested in purchasing an anenome. What type will be best? I am thinking of a bubble tip, will that work? Thx.

Clownfish don't NEED an anemone. Anemone require high intensity lighting to survive. Normally when they are added to go with a clown, they end up dying off because many tanks don't have the lighting requirements and pristine water conditions necessary to keep these sensitive inverts alive. Can you tell us some more about your tank and lighting? No reason to make such a jump if a tank isn't ready for such an animal. Normally a tank needs to be up and running for 6 months to a year before it is stable enough to support an anemone successfully.

Clownfish don't NEED an anemone. Anemone require high intensity lighting to survive. Normally when they are added to go with a clown, they end up dying off because many tanks don't have the lighting requirements and pristine water conditions necessary to keep these sensitive inverts alive. Can you tell us some more about your tank and lighting? No reason to make such a jump if a tank isn't ready for such an animal. Normally a tank needs to be up and running for 6 months to a year before it is stable enough to support an anemone successfully.

My tank is a 100 gallon. It has t5 lighting full spectrum, and i might get leds soon

There are 4 48 inch long bulbs; two white and two blue.

I cant right now, i can get back to you tonight

Ok. In terms of keeping an anemone, which you were correct about a bubble tip possibly being able to allow a clownfish to host...though they don't have to and there isn't anything you can do to make them. People have kept them successfully under 4 bulb T5HO in smaller tanks. I personally wouldn't suggest it and wouldn't try with less than 6 bulbs.
If you are planning on upgrading to LEDs, then I would wait until after doing so to attempt an anemone. This will also give your tank additional time to mature and continue to increase your chances of success.
When upgrading to LEDs, if you have any coral or photosynthetic creatures in your tank make sure you get a dimmable unit or a way to slowly increase the intensity of the lighting over time. They are very good at penetrating water, better than T5HO or MH, and can easily burn and stress these creatures to death. I personally didn't understand them when I upgraded and killed 500 bucks worth of livestock off of my own ignorance. Check out the taotronics LEDs on ebay and amazon. They are used frequently in the forum and are good at keeping coral/anemone. They are as cheap as you can make a lighting set up and one unit will cover 2 feet of tank.

You definitely don't have enough lighting intensity for an anemone. You`ll need an upgrade.

Like stated, 6 bulb T5HO, MH, or LED. I would recommend the taotronic LEDs as they have been very successful keeping anemone and sps coral by other members of the forum, though there are many other LED options out there.

Ok. Im looking at upgrading to led in may, so thanks for your help!

I looked at my lighting and its t5ho lights. Can i keep a bubble tip with this setup? I read that bubbles dont need that much light.

I wouldn't try it with a 100 gallon tank. Smaller, shallower tanks would be able to get away with a 4 bulb unit. I stick with my 6 bulbs and up. I'd just wait until upgrading light fixtures and let the tank gain more maturity.

Back
Top Bottom