Anenome Questions about closing up and hosting clowns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kelso

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got a few questions. My enemone, don't know how to spell that, seems to close up every now and then. Do they do this normally or is it my water. Also do you need a cirtin type of enemone for the clown fish to swim in, my buddy told me this and neither of my clowns go near the thing. It was $25 at my lfs and it's huge. It's got white tenticals and an orange base, sometimes a pink/purple tips.

Its a BTA most likely, And your clowns may host it. May not..

Yes they do close up from time to time, But they mainly should be open.
What are you water para's? And your lighting?

Thanks.

Basic parameters are good, lighting is 2 T5 HO w/ 4 39w bulbs. So the type dosent effect the clowns hosting?

There are kinds of anemones that do not allow hosts. There are also clowns that never host as well. Wild caught clowns usually host more than captive bred. It took my clowns 6 months to take interest in my anemones. Now they host everything. GSP, hair algae, sand, whatever.

Yeah, it took my clowns 4 months to host my carpet.

As stated above, Wild clowns know what anemones are and will most likely host as for captive breed will take a while to know they can go into it.
Your clowns will most likely host the BTA, Just give it time.

no anenome, so my clown hosts my hammer coral.

It was $25 at my lfs and it's huge. It's got white tenticals and an orange base, sometimes a pink/purple tips.
Sound like it may be a condylactis, which typically are not anemones that host clownfish.

Thanks guys, I guess time will tell. I may get another for the other side of my tank where my maroon clown chills.

Heres what it looks like. It seems to shrivel up only sometimes about 5 min after I add fresh water to the sump. What would be a good choice of anemone to get to better suit my clowns?

Attachments

• 20100508_251.jpg
    20100508_251.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 59
  • 20100508_252.jpg
    20100508_252.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 76
A better choice would be a bubble tip or LTA mentioned above. There is no guarantee they will host it. I had to get rid of mine as my clowns totally ignored mine. Be prepared for yours to do the same just in case.

Ya, all I can do is hope for the best. Well thanks, think I might try a bubble.

Took 12 minutes for my pair of maroon clowns to be in my new green tipped bubble anemone . Dont think they have left since.

Second day in and he is lovin it. I was so happy when I saw him in there. Got home from work the day after I bought my new anemone and was thrilled to see my tomato clown chillin in the tenticals. Thanks a lot guys.

Attachments

• 20100509_5.jpg
    20100509_5.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20100509_4.jpg
    20100509_4.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 73
Thanks, though Im not sure what LT means. Hey what do you feed your anemone?

sence your clown hosted it it should bring food back to it but you can always put a little brine or misis shrimp on it

Back
Top Bottom