Another cycle question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Breakthecycle2

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Sorry for asking but. Two days ago, I started a IM nano 16 gallon. I added 20 pounds of live sand and 8 pounds of live rock to start. I checked my parameters today and ammonia was 0, nitrites where .25-.50 ish and Nitrates were somewhere between 10-20 PPM. My question is, how is it cycling so quickly?

Sorry for asking but. Two days ago, I started a IM nano 16 gallon. I added 20 pounds of live sand and 8 pounds of live rock to start. I checked my parameters today and ammonia was 0, nitrites where .25-.50 ish and Nitrates were somewhere between 10-20 PPM. My question is, how is it cycling so quickly?

Have you added any fish or ammonia source ?

No. Well I put some food in but that was only the night before which was Wednesday. I set up the tank Tuesday.

In order to start a cycle doesn't the ammonia go up ?
I tested my water and the nitrite was 3and the nitrate was 0
But ammonia was 0
I haven't added anything that would start the cycle yet .
Please correct me if I'm wrong

I added ready cured live rock

That's why.
...with rock that is already "live" and no or very low bio-load... your tank is more-or-less cycled, it's just finding it's equilibrium. (and the bacteria from the rocks will continue to spread to every surface below the waterline.)

If it were me, I'd let it run like that for a week, then add a snail or two... wait another week and add a fish or two... everyone has their own way of doing things... you just need to do some research (like this) and pick whatever sounds reasonable to you... eventually, you just have to make your own decision and go for it.

OK well, I have still have a small trace of ammonia, Nitrites are at 5 PPM and Nitrates are around 50 PPM's. It's been this way for 3-4 days. Anything I need to do or should do?

There needs to be an ammonia source or your bacteria will die

Back
Top Bottom