I set up something that might sound silly to people, but seems to really be working well for me.
I have been breeding bacteria.
Since i started this hobby a little less than 4 months ago with 1 10gal tank, I have produced some serious MTS. Friends everywhere have been showing up at my house with tanks and i can't stop setting them up. Now i have
1 29 gal
3 20 gal
1 10 gal
1 5 gal
and a 40 gal
on the way.
So, being the impatient person I am, I wanted a way to speed up cycling and save money.
So, I turned the 10 gal
into a "parts/bacteria" tank. What I am doing in my 'parts' tank:
I cycled it. I keep a few danios in there. But it really isn't my 'pretty tank'
I keep bags of bioballs/ceramic cylinders in there.
disposible tupperware containers of PFS with holes in the lids and airstones in the substrate
home made sponge filters
Why I am doing this:
I can't afford to buy things a lot. BioSpira is not readily available here either.
So, I am breeding pre-treated media and substrate to kick start my new tanks when I get them.
When I set up a new tank, I mix 1/2 a container of pre-treated substrate in with the new, rinsed substrate, then sprinkle the rest over the top of the substrate. Then add a pretreated filter bag to the filter. I sometimes put decor in the 'parts' tank to kick it off also.
I also add one of my fancy ghetto home made sponge filters to my new tanks.
I sometimes use the 10 gal
as a hospital, when I don't need to add meds to it. Just to isolate fish as needed.
this is really helping me a lot. It has my tanks coming up to speed in half the time, and allows me to cycle without fish, just using dead shrimp.
Also, it lets me breakdown and clean the medication tank and get it back up and running ASAP when needed.
Hope someone can use this info.
I just started doing this recently as a result of all the problems i have had cycling my tanks. I had a ton of problems. This was the only tanks i cycled successfully, and since i started this, my ammonia levels in my other tanks have come down from 4-5ppm to .25 ppm
. It seems to really be helping. Also, I used this to kick start a hospital when my orange african got sick, and then again for the sick Momma GBR.
I used this to start off the new 2 20gal tanks and am already showing .25 nitrite in 2 days.