another question about curing live rock.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

electrikat

Aquarium Advice Addict
We brought appx 85-90 pounds of coral skeleton back from Maui on the 17th of April. It has been curing in a 20 gallon tub since then. I have 2 powerhead running in it. I started out with new saltwater and have been changing 5 gallons every other day. I am replacing it with the water from my 90g tank and putting new water in the tank. It's been 10 days now and the ammonia is still through the roof. I am not filtering it at all but I do have a bag of gac in front of one of the powerheads to help out a little. My goal is not only to cure it, but also to have it completely colonized with bacteria by the time we put it into the tanks. Here's the question part. Appx how long do you think it will take to complete, and if I'm using used water will the readings be true, and will I still be watching for the amm and nitrite to reach zero? Because I already have nitrate from the water I'm adding. Will adding used water add any bacteria to the equation by way of transfer? Will this help? I really didn't want to use fresh mixed because that seems like a waste to me. I'd rather have the fresh in my tank to get the nitrates down in it. Any helpful advice will be appreciated and any first hand experience will be great too. I've already read the article on curing live rock but am not sure it applies to this situation since this stuff came off a beach and I don't know how long it was ashore.

What you are doing is fine. 85 - 90 lbs will likely take a good four weeks. However your readings could be a little out there since you only have it in a 20G tub and with displacement for that amount of rock I bet your only looking at like 8 or 9 gallons total volume in there. Does the container smell horrible? If not you may want to give each rock a little sniff. You could find one rock has a piece of sponge or something on it that is making the water read bad. Any white stringy looking material on the rock is likely dead sponge and should be gently scrubbed off.
Otherwise I would say to wait it out and try to make a really big water change a few hours before you take readings.

Well, while not having had to cure THAT much rock in one shot, I would slack up on the water changes. Every other day is a bit much. I think a huge change ( 90 - 100 percent 2 x a week would be better. While true the volume is nearly the same, it gives the rock a chance to colonize. Suffice to say I would slow up a bit on the changes if nothing else. As for time, I would imagine the same 30 days or so that would apply to any cycle. (Less you buy some Bio Spira and cycle in a couple days) The only thing I don't see that couple of the articles I have come across recommend is scrubbing the rock to get rid of the dead stuff you don't want. Any way 10 days your only about 1 / 3 or less the way there.

GL!

No water changes!!!!! The natural cycle for any new system is between two and three weeks. You are doing three things when you cycle; releasing the dead microrganism from the LR. Growing new ones in their place and also in the sand and water. Cycling the amonia, to nitrate to nitrite. You need LR to help do this. Put the rock in the tank you plan on using (unless there are already fish there) so you canl also colonize you filters and especially sand. Don't even bother with test yet. After two and a half weeks star a fifteen percent water change twice a week.

My tanks are fully mature reef systems. There will be no adding uncured live rock. It will have to cure in the bucket. Thanks everyone for all the advice. I guess it's just another case of trying to find a quicker route to the end of the road.

Back
Top Bottom