Any good books?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpa925

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just started my first saltwater tank. Right now it is FOWLR, but eventually I would like to possibly add some corals. I'm really interested in learning more, especially about the fish. There are tons of books out there to sort through, so I was wondering if anyone had any good book recommendations?
:thanks:

I like useing live aquaria for my fish and coral info but they do sell books at some LFS stores but its cheaper and easier to browse forums and check

I like useing live aquaria for my fish and coral info but they do sell books at some LFS stores but its cheaper and easier to browse forums and check

But just make sure you are taking any info you read online from qualified, experienced people. You can't always tell that from online forums ;)
LFSs may not be any better (I'm sorry to say.) If you want good info from a LFS, you should be getting it from shops with large saltwater fish sections with various fish and invertebrates. These will have to know how to keep their stock alive to pay for those sections so they surely can assist you. The chain shops with small sections of limited selection makes me hesitate as to the info they may offer. (I was at one chain store whose employee turned out to be one of my former wholesale customers. He told me things about what goes on in the store that would curl your hair :eek:)

If you already have a good grasp of what exacly is going on in the aquarium's ecology, this book might help you along to get to the next step. The Complete Book of the Marine Aquarium: Vincent Hargreaves: 9781571457622: Amazon.com: Books

I have not read this book but the reviews on it sound like it's a winner. Other authors who might be of help are: Martin Moe jr., Dr. Clifford W. Emmens, Dr. Warren Burgess. These are some of the pioneers of marine fish keeping and breeding.

Lastly, check and see if there is a marine fish aquarium society or club that is local to you. They would also be a great source of info for you.

Hope this helps (y)

I have the above book and refer to it a lot. Great info on filtration, setting up and maintenance. Really extensive guide to fish/invert/coral species. Only downside is its a little old so not up to date with LED lighting but good info on the science of lighting and why it's important :)

Thanks! I'm gonna check out that book. I like cruising the forums to pick up information, but that was my worry that it might not always be correct. It never crossed my mind to look for a club in my area, but that's a really great idea too. Appericate the help!

Back
Top Bottom