Anybody mixing Reef Crystals and Instant Ocean

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smoothie7

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been using Reef Crystals in both of my tanks however my 90 gallon is a FOWLR and wander if its necessary to spend the extra money on reef crystals or if I could mix RC with Instant Ocean. I've been using RC exclusively for about 9 months but was at a store today that was selling instant ocean 160 gallon buckets for 39.99 with a 10.00 mail in rebate. Seemed like a good deal. What are your guys thought of maybe mixing half and half reef crystals with instant ocean. Thanks for the input and advice.

Kinda depends on how often you do water changes, what you keep in the non fowlr tank as far as corals and how much of a water change you do. If you are keeping corals that are consuming the elements in the reef crystals then you dont want to mess with that, or you can do more frequent changes with the non reef crystals. i have 3 32g brute cans so i usually have one with reef crystals and one with regular I/O for my fowlr tanks. I sometimes will use the reg i/o for the reef but not too often, maybe 1 out of 8 changes I will use the reg salt. But I feel ya on the price, its crazy how much cheaper the reg can be if you catch a sale. Its like 36$ on amazon last i checked.

If you only have fish, it doesn't matter what salt you use. You can mix and match salts with no problem at all. you can also change salts abruptly with no Ill effects.

Back
Top Bottom