Anyone know?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

arminkropp

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tanks been cycling for about 2 weeks now. Amm. has dropped, Nitrites are at 0.3 and Nitrates are 50-110.
First question is Can I do a water change yet? Just to bring the Nitrates down.
Second is I have green algae on my rock and back of tank. is this good?
third. I have what looks like brown hairs sprouting from my LR. is that what hair algae looks like?(each sprout has about 3-6 hairs)
Finally, I have what looks like some red algae as well, I guessing thats from the Nitrates being so high. does that sound right?
I'm guessing I'll have to reduce the lighting period from 15 hours to lets say 11-12 hours. I had it at 15 hours to help the cycle.
Any advice would be great! :D

TIA

Sounds like your cycle is progressing. This is all pretty normal. If you have no fish in the tank, I would skip the water change. This will just cause your cycle to take longer. If you do have fish, then yes by all means, do one. The green algae does look like hair and the red, the first pic looks like the beginnings of cyanobacteria and the other pics looks like it may be some red macro growing. This is all normal. Wait til your nitrites are reading 0. Two weeks is aweful fast but, not impossible with the addition of liverock.

All levels did spike (ammonia, Nitrites)
No fish in the tank
I know 2 weeks seems awful fast for a cycle!
I guess I must have done something right!

Thanx again for the help Cindy!

arminkropp said:
All levels did spike (ammonia, Nitrites)

That's great. Your almost done but I would still wait til nitrites are at 0. Then do a major water change. Your this close, no sense in jumping to soon. It may only be another day. Good job! :D

Back
Top Bottom