API Test Kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woody5465

Aquarium Advice Regular
I purchased an API SW Master test kit. I figured while my tank is cycling I could practice with it so that I would have the hang of it when I'm able to put in some livestock. One thing I'm never sure about with these kinds of kits is matching the shade of the water with the right shade on the chart. When I hold the tube against the card like the directions say it appears one shade. But if i turn in the light in appears another shade. One way the light is coming through the tube and the shade appears light. The other is still in the light but it's not coming through the tube and it appears darker and more equivilent to a higher result. Is there a trick to getting this accurate so I know I'm reading it right?

The main thing is to always read it the same way. The colors are hard to make out and distinguish, but if you're consistent you can at least be sure of increasing or decreasing values.

I agree, the only one I have issues with on that test kit is the pH.

The main thing is to always read it the same way. The colors are hard to make out and distinguish, but if you're consistent you can at least be sure of increasing or decreasing values.
That makes good sense HN1. I'm like Roka, the one I'm most concerned with is the pH test. With the light coming through it appears to be at 8.4 but when I look at it the other way it looks like 8.8. I read that API sells a pH additive that will maintain the pH @ 8.2. Does anyone have experiance with this? If I use this additive and it does maintain an 8.2, then that would give me a benchmark to go by.

I'm a bit of a prude when it comes to chemicals, especially pH adjusters. A constant, stable value (within reason of course) is more important IMO than acheiving a specific number. pH readings will also vary depending upon the time of your lighting cycle that you test, so be sure to test at the same time for comparison.

Woody, I wouldn't even test the pH till after the cycle and it will still be a little out of whack until the tank settles. Also, measure it at around the same time everyday. It will drop after lights out and rise after lights on.

I have the same problem with the Ph Test, but the best way to compare colors is placing the tube against the white area on the card and puting it against the light... it works for me

Back
Top Bottom