API test kits are not accurate when using PRIME

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the Prime issue and API sensitivity. I had a constant and consistent, low level ammonia reading in my large freshwater tank even after water changes up to 70%; the ammonia reading never changed. The fish, however, were full of themselves and extremely active.

When I contacted API, they confessed/admitted that both Prime and AMQUEL could cause a false ammonia reading with the API kits. Of course, I would buy either one on a consistent basis.

I have an RO/DI unit that I use now due to setting up a reef tank as well but, prior to that, I did two 70% water changes in the fresh using stress coat instead (which I don't like as much as it clouds the water for a day or so) and the false readings went away.

As far as I can see, I haven't had an issue with the reef tanks during the liverock curing process using API and stress coat (prior to using the RO/DI).

I agree with the Prime issue and API sensitivity. I had a constant and consistent, low level ammonia reading in my large freshwater tank even after water changes up to 70%; the ammonia reading never changed. The fish, however, were full of themselves and extremely active.

When I contacted API, they confessed/admitted that both Prime and AMQUEL could cause a false ammonia reading with the API kits. Of course, I would buy either one on a consistent basis.

I have an RO/DI unit that I use now due to setting up a reef tank as well but, prior to that, I did two 70% water changes in the fresh using stress coat instead (which I don't like as much as it clouds the water for a day or so) and the false readings went away.

As far as I can see, I haven't had an issue with the reef tanks during the liverock curing process using API and stress coat (prior to using the RO/DI).
I just stopped using either because I'm using RO/DI. I new I didn't have to but was anyway.

Hi Inferno :)

Agree..now that I use the RO/DI, I don't use the dechlorinators. My RO/DI unit was in a box that disappeared from the mover's van during my move from Virginia to Maryland. Since the freshwater seemd adequate with tap water, I didn't bother replacing the unit. Now that I am playing, again, with reefs, I decided to replace the unit.

Back
Top Bottom