Aqadvisor - saltwater valid?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I used aqadvisor for my freshwater to help stock it. I know that they have a saltwater side.

The thing I like is that they take it to account bioload stocking capacity and weekly water changes. Is it accurate though?

For example in my 20g long with 10g sump/refugium:

I will have

Firefish Goby
Royal Gramma Basslet
2 Occ Clowns
I wanted a sideline wrasse as well but was told that was too much. When input into aqadvisor I got 94% stocked with 17% weekly water changes.

I realize that these type tools cannot be completely correct with all the variable but was just curious peoples thoughts since I only see people talking about the freshwater side (with filter bioload capacity) and not saltwater

Does it take into account what filtration you have, if you have any dead spots where detritus or food can sit, how often, how much and what you feed, how large your fish are and how much they eat? I've never heard of that app/program, but I think sometimes common sense and experience trumps a computer. I'm not saying it's wrong, but I would take some of the member's advice here over a program any day.

IMO, you will know when you are overstocked when your filtration can not keep up with bioload and nitrates rise quickly. I also feel there is fish compatibility to take into account.

That stock is fine. I have close to that in my 20 (blenny instead of firefish) and do 25% weekly wc.

Yeah, it doesn't take enough into account for me to trust it. It just leaves out so many factors that affect your stocking a ton. Juat come to AA and ask, we have better advice then a computer, because last time I checked, computers don't run aquariums. (Well they do, but like, they don't do everything with the tank, at least not unless your like a billionaire.)

Oh I would still ask here. I was just curious about everyone's thoughts on here. I understand aggression factors, size of fish, personalities of fish...and I agree that it doesn't take enough into account but bioload is one of the harder things to get a grasp on because same sized fish can have very different bio loads.

Back
Top Bottom