Aquarium stocking question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mtlion

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello! I am looking at putting some algae eaters in my 72G aquarium once I cycle with LR. I am going to put in 15 Scarlet Hermits, 10 Turbo Snails, 60 Margarita Snails, and 35 Red Leg Hermits. They all come in a pack for a discounted price. I was wondering are there any special shells that I need for the Hermits or can I buy any old hermit crab shells? Any advice would be appreciated.

Holy cow! that's a lot of snails....maybe somebody else knows better, but I don't think your tank will have enough algae and detritus to support 70 snails, and 50 crabs.
you can go to Michaels craft store, and get a bag of shells that hermits like for like 1.99. just boil them before you add them to your tank

I agree with nano. You should start off small since there won't be much for them to eat. Personally, I'm not a fan of hermits. I have only 3 in my 55. I would look at nassarius snails, cerith and margaritas.
Those "cleaner packs" aren't really designed for new tanks.
I agree with the craft store for the hermit shells as well.

Ok thanks! I have to agree with you roka64, I'm not a big fan of hermits either. You think I can get by with just the snails.

Sure! I would wait for a few other opinions before you make a final decision.

I do like hermits...just not that many...they do serve a useful purpose. I really like astrea snails too.

Agree with other opinions... with those prepackaged deals, your snails will go hungry pretty quick in a new tank. And they always give you waaaaay more crabs than I personally prefer. I'd go with maybe 6 hermits, a couple turbos, and maybe 10 each of astrea and trochus. Top that off with maybe 30 nassarius (the little ones) and that should get you going. You can always add more later.

Thanks for all of the advice! I really would be lost without all of the great help on this site!

after Cycling my new tank with LR, I went out and purchased 2 Clowns and 10 margarita snails from Petco (I know I know...I had a giftcard).

Anyway. Clowns are doing great but I've lost a few snails. I find them on their back in the substrate and if I turn them over, they seem to move along only to be on their backs a little while later.

ANYWAY - Last night I took a ride the a "real" LFS and talked to the reefkeeper. He said I should wait until I start seeing the "Need" for snails before adding them. The fact that they are on their back is most likely the process of them dieing from Starvation. My Tank has NO Visible Algae yet.

Yeah I never though of that, perhaps I will just add the my planned list of fish and wait for a while on the snails/hermits.

Yeah I never though of that, perhaps I will just add the my planned list of fish and wait for a while on the snails/hermits.

Yeah...that's probably a good idea... Plus.. I heard that Inverts are Giant fans and do Not like Philly Eagles Households.. So you may look into that too.. Maybe turn the lights off in the tank Sunday while you watch the game?? :D

Do you think it is ok to add some snails and at least one fish at the same time, or too much bio load?

Snails don't add to your bioload. Also... just because you can't see the algae doesn't mean it's not there. You don't want to wait until you have an algae problem, or even visible algae, to add a cleanup crew. In my opinion, it's too late by then to get up on it.

Good to know I didn't know that snails did not add to bioload!

Technically everything that creates waste adds to a bioload, but in most clean-up crews the amount is negligible.

Back
Top Bottom