Are Tangs an absolute No for a 38Long tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono_vivi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I really, really want a Tang, either a Yellow or a Regal. Would it be a huge No to have on in a 38? I'm not going to have Live Rock in this tank, and I'm just going to have synthetic coral for my Fish only tank(just starting up the hobby, so for my first tank I'm going to skip out on Live Rock and Inverts). So I thought that there would be a lot of room for him to zoom around in.

Sorry, the tank is not nearly big enough for a tang to live out a full life. Perhaps and upgrade is in you future?? :wink:

I would reconsider not having inverts like snails and hermit crabs. They will help you out alot with eating waste of fish and food. :wink:

If you really want Tangs, try to shoot for something around 6 feet long like a 125 if you can. 90G minimum. This would be ideal for most Tangs. A 38L is way too small. The Tang wouldn't last too long in there, and water quality can get out of hand quick in that tank.

Mike

Also with a tang you WANT the liverock, mine eats stuff all day long off the rock, plus meals, and seaweed treats. :roll:

Okay, I guess I'll have to pass. The reason I wouldn't just save up and get a 80 or something bigger, is I'm only 16, and I can't afford something like that. Since I'm on the subject of which fish I CAN'T have, what others are there?

Lots of cool fish. Clowns, damsels, chromis, a blenny, a dwarf angel (coral beauty, flame), royal gramma, etc...lots of choices.
Also like the rev suggested, don't leave out inverts, they can be as much fun as fish.

I DEFINETLY want a pair of Percula Clowns. I also want a Flame Angel, a Bicolor Blenny, and probably a Royal Gramma. About Damsels, wouldn't they and the Chromis pick on the Clowns because they are all Damselfish?

As for Inverts, would all these fish be good with inverts? What would be some good ones for a 38 gallon?

Chromis are the least aggressive of the damsel family. They won't really bother anything in the tank. As far as inverts, I don't have any yet.

Mike

So, a pair of Percula Clowns, a Bicolor Blenny, a Flame Angel, Royal Gramma, and 4 Chromis? Would my 38 sustain all of them?

Just threw in the damsels. With the list you gave earlier, you could omit them. Mike has a nice idea with the school of chromis. Add a few hermits, snails, a cleaner shrimp, maybe a fire shrimp and a few of the fish you mentioned earlier and you have a wonderful tank!

After looking at the list, that may be pushing it a bit. You may be maxed out with what you have already.

Mike

Note I said " a few of the fish".
Post the list when you decide and will will give an opinion.

This is why I want a larger tank. lol

I thought I would be happy with a 90G. There are so many species to choose from. 8O

Argh. This is a very tough decision, as I love the way all the fish I named look, but I've never seen the behavior of any Chromis. I would be happy with just the fish I named:

Flame Angel
2 P. Clowns
Royal Gramma
Bicolor Blenny
Then some of the Inverts you named.

Would that right there max it out? Or would maybe a just a pair of Chromis? Or are Chromis not even worth it if you can't have more than 2?

That looks like a pretty good list you got there. I would just stick with that. It will be a nice colorful tank.
Just add one fish a month so you don't overload the bio.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom