Arrow Crab

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ashearier said:
My arrow lost a leg. Do legs grow back :?:

As long as it's a walking leg, they will most often regenerate on the next moult. It is usually only the claws that do not regenerate.

Cheers
Steve

That surprises me that a leg would grow back. How often do they moult?
How would he have lost the leg? I have emerald crabs. Could this be the same reason my stars lose legs on occasion.

I had an arrow crab for 3 months, during which time he moulted once. It was right in the middle of the 3 months, though, so it's at least 1.5 months between moults...

However, I have heard that if there is more iodine in the water, and if they are overfed, they will moult more often. I don't know how accurate that is, though.

Gauge said:
However, I have heard that if there is more iodine in the water, and if they are overfed, they will moult more often. I don't know how accurate that is, though.
Increased iodine levels in the water will make the shrimp moult more often but it can also lead to health problems. If they moult too often it can cause a fair amount of stress and an early death.

Iodine through water changes and/or feedings is the best way for the animals to get their dose of necessary iodine. The only time it should ever be added to the tank is if it is being properly tested.

Cheers
Steve

What is too often for things to moult? My shrimp seems to moult every month at least (probably three times every two months or so). I don't dose iodine ever.

My arrow crab, however, moulted far, far less often.

They will moult more often when they are young and still growing but what you have posted would be considered the norm. As they age the moulting process slows a bit and is more for removing pollutants and contaminates than actual growth. Much like soft corals do when they shed/slough.

I would say in that regard you are just fine. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom