Aug-Sept: Let's hear about the bargains you've found...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never purchased livestock from them, but I have bought Hardware before and they were great. They have been around for over 30 years (My LFS had old marine magazines from the 60's-80's 5 for a buck, I bought a few and saw the add there) so imagine they have ironed out most of there shipping bugs ;)
On a side note, the old fish magazines were pretty cool, Its amazing how much differently some things and attitudes are now compared to then.
Peace,
Zero

20g tank, stand/hood, 175 mh setup, 2x20 (i think 20) NO actinics, BakPak skimmer, Penguin HOB, heater, thermometer, super live sand,

$100 from local reefer :mrgreen:

Neon green torch coral, 2 half gallon bags of live sand, and two things of marine flake, for $10 in raffle tickets
Candy cane coral $5, and this is a piece from the monterey bay aquarium, splash zone exhibit!!!!!! Cool or what?

www.liveaquaria.com is having a sale on LR. 45# runs $98.99. To the door, it would be about $150 with shipping. That is $3.30 a lb. Pretty cheap for darn good LR. I have 45# of it myself and love the colors.

great deal on ushio mh bulbs got 2 250watt mh 10,000k for 68.00 apeice. these lights are bright and heavy, compaired to the factory lights that came with the light. dr. foster smith wants 119.00 apeice, other places 99.00 :D :D :D found this on e-bay. A to T lamps.
>Item title: 250 W 10 K REEF AQUARIUM METAL HALIDE USHIO
>Web Address: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2342268815 A to T Lamps

Room to deal

OK I'm posting in new acquisitions even thought nothin is to acquired as of yet, but I have room to deal. I found a somewhat local (45 minutes) who placed an ad with no bites yet. Here's the run down:

135 Oceanic
Plumbed stand
CPR (1000 I think) wet/dry <I really don't need
ETSS Skimmer w/pump <Drooled on myself
Rainbow 25W UV sterilizer
and for shame; 100+ lbs of dead dry fiji (nice base rock though)

all for $750

I thinks it's a bit steep for used equipment but in reality not bad. I called to ask about the skimmer, UV, and rock (willing to give it up at .50 a lb) and he gave me a rather high quote for just the three. Somewhere in the vacinity of $300. BUT I think I have room to move here. With no hits the ball is kinda in my court. Comments?

after totaling what i spent on the 75 to get it up and running i would jump on that in a min. :multi: :grab:

well it is not a need thing so as far as the wife killing you here are some ideas that my hubby has used on me with much success. 1st one and probably works the best is he buys something for the kids and me (so that he is the only one that did not get something)...makes sure he points that out...the guilt factor works great. if the first one does not work very rarely points out how much more he could be spending on other things that would take him away from home...or other choice would be for him to tell me how he intends to pay it off out of his lunch money(brings back guilt factor) :lol: :mrgreen: 8O

I tried merging this to the "Aug-Sept Tell us about the bargains you've found" thread in General Discussion, but failed... It is now residing in General Discussion because I don't have time to re-move it... Can someone else give it a try or put it back to New Aquisitions?

BTW,,,Great deal on the Oceanic Setup....take it and run

not necessarily a good bargain just a good mistake on someone's part at a local lfs here. I found some aragonite and and bought a 2 lb live rock. I was told the bag of sand was 20$ and 10$ for the live rock. When a girl rung me up she said it was 18$ i didnt catch it till i was driving out but i got a really good deal :)

PetStop in College STaion TX has 1/2 off all Marine fish and Corals, except their 14" Queen Trigger. That would put their Paraplesiops at like $300. NOT for me, but maybe someone else who likes to pay a month's rent for a not-so-spectacular looking fish. :roll:

I just picked up a Acrylic 300 gallon tank, wet dry and digital de-nitrate system with private sump for $350.00. Having the LFS give the tank a look over for between $150.00 and $200.00 I'd like them to check over seals, seams and possibly apply some added protection and re seal a few areas.

Great deal figuring a tank of this magnatude would run in the thousands news.

I bought a cluster of ricordia mushrooms, colors from brown(w/ natural light) to pure white, 14 of them so far, for $37.00 from www.marinedepotlive.com. They have been propagating the LR rock I set the piece(frag) of LR they came on ever since. I have three more "baby" ricordias coming in on the rock I had already!
14 mushrooms+ for $37.00 :)

I would avoid Rio's. They just don't seem to last and some models are oil-filled which can be a disaster if it has a problem (and it will). I was lucky my Rio 2100 just froze and didn't crack so I never found out if it was oil-filled or not.

I like Mag's for inexpensive pumps and have been happy with Maxi-Jets as powerheads.

Norm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom