Auto Top Off Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MKFMedic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at ATO's for my 30 gallon reef tank. I'm away for days at a time and don't want my wife to have to worry about adding water to the tank. First, for filling my tank during water changes, I use "Store Bought" water from my LFS. After research, I have been reading that most people aren't using salt water for the Auto Top Off supply?

Am I correct in so much as the Top Off water supply should be RO/DI water only with NO Salt Content? I'm assuming that since as water evaporates, salt remains behind and we don't want to add more to the system during top-off?

I want to set this up correctly, so any confirmation would be appreciated!

Have a great day!

Mike

Only top off with ro water no salt or your SG will go up. I use a one or 2 gallon container for top off water just to play it safe. I haven't had one stick on but I have had the line come out of the holder and the water drip on the floor and it is easier to come home to a gallon of water than 5 on the floor.

I don't do weekly water changes so I top off with saltwater to somewhat replace the skimmate that my protein skimmer extracts from the tank (maybe one liter of SW ten days after my last water change) to replace the removed salt); but to replenish water water lost to evaporation I auto top off with RO/DI water (over a gallon a day).

I had a problem with my salt magically vanishing. I was told that I could top off with distilled, but when I did and would check my salinity later on, it would no longer be around 1.025...didn't have a skimmer at the time so...where did my salt go?

A corner overflow for good water movement and oxygen exchange with a tight fitting glass cover the way to go never need to top off .... water change every 2 weeks just another thing less to worry about !! But u need the corner overflow for proper oxygenation of water

Hey Thanks Everyone!

I do plan on using a smaller container, and with my controller, only setting it to come on a limited amount of times during the day, for a few minutes at a time. That way, even if I have the dreaded "Failure" of floats, it won't run until the container is dry and dump all that water on the floor. I also like the idea of going with a 3 gallon container.

There is so much to learn! Thanks for all the advice and input.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom