[b]Using Beach Sand?¿?¿?[/b]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zephyr

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey,
I was just wondering if you could use beach sand as a substrate in an aquarium. I am starting up a small aquraium for percula clowns, kinda like a nano-reef but without the reef part. :lol:
Ne way can u please reply,
cya from justin :twisted:

Yes you can but there are a couple of things to consider first. The first thing is to find out if it's legal to take in your area and if so, what the limit is. I know in Florida you can take a one gallon bucket per person, per day.
The next thing is where to take it from. It's not a good idea to take the sand from the beach itself, or from the shoreline. Either one can have contaminates like cigarette ashes, lotion, etc. from the beach and the shoreline will have critters in it that require extremely high oxygen levels that will die in your tank. Better to take sand from under the water offshore a ways. You also need to be aware of other problems. Never collect near any kind of drainage ditch, sewer, or even a river. Stay well away from areas that have high boat traffic like piers, docks, etc....also beaches that are used heavily by people. Even following these precautions, you should let the sand sit in some saltwater before using and if you notice any kind of oil slick on the surface of the water, don't use the sand!
To me (at least), I'd rather buy a bag of playsand from Home Depot rather than take the chance of putting something unwanted in my tank.
HTH

I agree with toomanyfish totally.

ALso, I deleted your other post in this forum on the exact same subject.

Additionally you will want to be careful about what type of playsand you pick up from Home Depot. Southdown or Yard Right are the two best. Pure Caribbean Aragonite is also pretty good from what I understand. Got a good deal on some Nature's Ocean sand at Petco over the weekend so I'll be using it on a 10G reef I'll be setting up.

Back
Top Bottom