Ballasts??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gooyferret

Aquarium Advice FINatic
im looking for a ballast that would be able to operate 2x96w PC's....does anyone know of a ballast that would handle that, where can i get it and i would like it cheap, otherwise i would be willing to go with a ballast that would handle juat 1-96w bulb.

go to lowes and pick up the 32X4 electronic ballasts. get two and then you have one for each bulb. they are like $30 a piece.

Or you can use the 2x59w ballasts from Lowes. They are about $24 and will overdrive the 96w PC some. I think a Fulham Workhorse 7 will pull a 2x96 also, but you'll probably have to pay more for it. The other alternative is to use the 2x96w HO ballasts that are designed to run two 8' 96w bulbs. I haven't seen any of these that are eletronic...the tar ballasts are large and weigh a ton. If you could find one of them that was electronic...or even a hybrid...it would do the job as well.

I second the Fulham Workhorse 7 :)

I have one myself, and it works like a champ, plus it was around $40 ...

plus, if you decide to change your lighting configuration, the Fulham can run various combinations of NO, HO and PC fluorescents up to 220 watts (very similar to the much more expensive ICECAP line of ballasts)

is the fulham workhorse a magnetic ballast? Where can i get them at HD? If i used a 4x32 would i need on ballast for each 96w bulb or would a 4x32 run 2-96w PC's? Im trying to do this a very cheap way but i want the best ballasts for the $$$$. Are u able to use a magnetic ballast with PC's? What will the ballast say to determine if it will work?

the fulham is only available online ... it's an industrial ballast that some retailers order and resell.

talk to Greg at www.reefgeek.com ... he has them for $36 last I ordered one.

The fulham is a true electronic (not a hybrid), so it is very light and very efficient in terms of energy usage and light output. I believe the 2x59 ballast from lowes is a hybrid, which is efficient in terms of light output, but not energy usage ... both are a LOT more efficent then magnetic ballasts in both energy usage and light output

-----

You could use a magnetic ballast to run a PC, but they're not really designed for it, and you won't get as much light as you would from a electronic ... besides, magnetic ballasts aren't that much cheaper, plus they are harder to wire and make a lot of noise.

best routes would be:

1) buying Two 2x59 electronic ballasts from lowes like Logan suggested - net cost is $48 - each bulb would need it's own ballast - this would give you the ability to have sunrise, noon and sunset lighting.

2) buying One Fulham 7 from online - net cost is $36

of course, you have to add shipping and/or taxes

For the money, my vote goes to the Fulham. They are very good and that's the most bang for the buck. I didn't know they could be had that cheap.

ok so i was to get the fulham workhorse 7 how do i do the wiring? what are my options with them is it best to use moisture resis endcaps? whats the best and how is the wiring done thanks guys!

Back
Top Bottom